The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got a 25/64 bit today and a 7/16 tap to redo the threads to the right size. First thing I did was make sure everything was clean, and it was for the most part. Like I mentioned, the installer tool will not fit as it is 7/16 as well as the new center bolt that I got a long time ago. I don't want to start trying to find different sized fittings for the tool and the threads inside the hole the way it is aren't the best looking as it is, so I'm going bigger. Appreciate the insight.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Got it drilled out no problem. Didn't have time to tap the new threads just yet. Darn kids and their baseball games always impeding my progress! Nah, in all seriousness I'll have time to finish up after we get back home this evening (in between periods of the Red Wings game of course.)

Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Overdrive Member

I cant believe my boy is benched. Justin "A" and I went to the same jr high school.

I broke a bolt once and had to drill and tap a crank. Shaky deal for a 20 yr old. i wouldnt think twice now but I do certainly understand the concern. Go slow, use alot of oil and listen for the dreaded "clink" that a broken tap makes. I tried to do a 6-32 in stainless not so long ago at work and it was an ordeal.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's cool! I knew he was from GR area originally. He got a raw deal on that play anyway but at least they got it done tonight!

Tapping was no problem, only took a couple of minutes. Got the balancer in the oven as I type this, waiting for it to warm up a bit and it should slip right on there. Still have to hope for the best but everything looks real good and I had no problems drilling and tapping the crank. I did worry a bit when I realized the hole size was different but I now believe that this was for the best anyway. The hole needed to be drilled out deeper than it was. Vall was right, the crank was easier to drill than I thought it would be.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Overdrive Member

Justin graduated from Mona Shores High. I went there until 7th grade. Its still not that far from the school I did go to.

Must have been a iron crank. Forged is much harder to tap. Glad you made it through without a set back. Keep rolling.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

I need to get a picture up here, not sure if the balancer is on all the way or not? When I installed the balancer, it went on like butter after having it in the oven. Didn't even need to disable the crank until the very end. I had no problems tightening the installer tool to press it on and then it just stopped spinning, which I assumed was when it was on and seated. It just looks to me like it's not on all the way? I don't know. Would be kinda strange to have it go on so easily and then suddenly bind up on something?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm still not positive about this but it's gotta be on there! Just seems like it's out farther than others I've seen. I tried again with the installer to see if I could get it to go on any further and it just won't. After looking at the pics of the engine before I tore it down, the balancer appears to be in the same spot in comparison to the timing tab. Any other ways to check to verify?

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fote4fd.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20130507_001.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks about right to me, but the only way to know for sure involves removing it again. When I install a balancer I measure depth from the seal to the stop ridge on the crank. Then I put a mark on the balancer that will line up at the measured depth. When pushing the balancer on I can see when the balancer bottoms out as the mark lines up.
I'd guess your's is fine if it came to a solid stop, and I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have a large washer and bolt holding it also.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it's not in all the way, you'll know when you try to line up the pulleys.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good point Vall, I definitely should've done something like that before installing it. You make a good point as well '69 but my intentions of course are to not have to learn the hard way/after the fact many more times during this build. When I took this balancer out of the oven last night and put it on the crank it went on so easily (like I mentioned) that the crank didn't even need to be disabled until the last 2 turns. Hate the uncertainty but with the way it went on, there's a fair amount of confidence that it's on all the way. ANYWAY, here's a pic of the almost finished product. Sad to me that the least new looking parts on this engine are indeed the parts that ARE new! Almost half tempted to paint the heads the same color as the block but I don't know. Knowing most of the head(s) will be covered up by the ceramic headers makes me feel a little better. Yes, there is a method to my madness with the red balancer also. I need to detail paint the lettering on the valve covers and air cleaner with the red/black paint pens I got, just haven't done it yet. It'll make more sense as I get more of the accessories installed, but for now, it's progress! Thanks for the insight again gentlemen.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fotfd03.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-fotd284.jpg  

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build