The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

So, I pretty much had this TH350 rebuild all but wrapped up, until I messed up my 2nd direct drum spring retainer! Can't beleive this. Don't know how I did it, wondering if it wasn't bent when it got here as it was very used. The bend is so small it's not noticeable by eye but when I do the clutch stackup and take the clearance measurement it's different by about .008 in two spots around the drum. Not sure if that's even something to worry about or not but I'm not gonna chance it. So anyway, instead of posting pics of the finished product I'll be trying to track down another retainer and thinner pressure plate for the direct drum tomorrow. So close...

Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Maybe try a piece of 600 grit on a flat surface? With a big enough peice you can pull 8 thou without much trouble. Those are the tolerances i work with at work and I'm doing it with tool steel.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the tip Damon, but this retainer isn't flat. It has two different lips and the springs fit inbetween the lips so sanding it down would be tough I think. I got lucky and found a place that had some oe retainers laying around along with a .275" pressure plate to adjust the clearances so I should be good when they get here. Just wasn't looking to add 3 more "wait" days into this already too long rebuild! It is what it is and I'm getting good at waiting for shipping now so come on Thursday! I managed to get a 7 tooth drive gear for the speedo also so according to my calculations I've got the drive/driven gears all set now too. I'll still call it progress.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Hang in there. You'll be slapping gears before you know it.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Totally random, but totally badass hydro dipped LS3 intake pic. Makes me wish I had an LS to put this on! Someday. Have any of you seen something like this before? Maybe I'm behind the curve but it's still killer!

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-156470_10151328126597545_107511047_n.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Its been around for a few years. Funny you bring this up. A guy on Nasty just started doing his own stuff and posted some better pics of a LS intake with a carbon fiber look. I am interested in doing this as maybe a side job. I know no one in my area does it.

This was his first attempt.

Then he shot it with clear.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have seen the carbor fiber stuff before, just never the snake skin-lookin' ones. It really is a cool process if you've seen it done before. I bet the pattern/options are endless at this point too.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Overdrive Member

Honestly this mayt be something I try here in the near future. The more I think about it. I can build the tanks they use. Most are aroung 5grand but they are simple. I watched a You Tube video where a guy opened his panel up and all it is, a temp controller, a starter relay, and a timer. The heaters they used were the same as I can get at work at cost. The real issue for me is the tank. I may try smaller tanks though. Water temp only needs to be 90*. Even hot water heaters would work, 90* isnt jack to achieve. The activator is 200 a gallon but I would imagine that goes a ways. The sheets were about $60-100 for 10sq meters.

After reasearching online prices for gun stocks they average $90. In my area hunting is huge, I bet its no different up there either. We have a deer on our flag and all. So with that kind of buy in I would think there is a bundle to be made doing not only car parts but the hunting guys are all about camo'in everything they can get their hands on. I really want to do this as a side project.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you could manage to get a couple of contracts with some manufacturers you'd be set for sure. Ironically, a few years back (when I could still hunt) I stripped my bow down and sent the riser and limbs into Browning to be re-dipped in Skyline Apparation camo. The possibilities are limitless when it comes to what could be "dipped." I'm sure most of the bigger manufacturers do it in-house but there definitely could be opportunities locally like you said. Hunting, automotive, household, sporting goods, even commercial stuff, as long as you had the equipment you'd be set. The only issue is the start up costs (not unlike most business ventures) would still be painful. Go for it Damon! I'll be a customer, got a couple shotgun stocks to get you started.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 03-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL its the tank that is the pain. Then there are the costs of teaching myself to "dip." I may do some stuff for myself for sure. My boss has a whitetail skull on his desk that is calling my name. Full on real tree is what I'm thinking.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build