The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

It is taking longer than expected to see more of the video clips but I knew the heads wouldn't be done until sometime in March. I told him to take his time as I wouldn't be driving down to get them until the weather broke anyway. Can't even get the Cadi out of the garage until the snow melts down. There does seem to be an abundance of excuses as to why the video clips haven't come forth as originally promised. He did post two videos of the sonic checking of my heads a couple weeks ago but they'll bore you to sleep for real. That's why I didn't post them.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Actually I have seen them. They do get a little redundant. I'm sure your in good hands. Time delays are common. I'm sure there are local boys dropping stuff off to him. I would bet dollars to doughnuts they are his bread and butter so they are going to bump you.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

My confidence is still there for the work he's doing for sure. It is getting a bit ridiculous hearing all the promises of this and that and then never hearing back from him. I was told something about how the heads would be a ton better if they could be opened up to accomodate a 2.05 valve. Can't really explain what he was talking about unfortunately. Anyway, he was going to check something out and let me know the next day.......That was last Tuesday. I got a new polished Hurricane intake that I have to get sent tomorrow so I guess I'll do the following up again when I let him know it's on the way. So what have you decided to do with your heads?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm going to sit on them the way they re. If I dropped grand on the heads I might as well start the LS build. BTW speaking of LS's. The LS Ram took a jump this week. The damaged pistons and heads have been fixed as well as adding a couple turbos. Yup! its now sitting with twin GT30's. We were gonna fire it yesterday but I got called into work. I have a pic with the snail mounted on one side. This truck should be stupid fast when done. Which should be this summer.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

So it's a Dodge with an LS setup? You're right though, I bet it'll shred tires with almost no boost. I'm guessing your thread will be updated with your decision to start the LS build shortly after it fires? LOL If I knew anything at all about the LS motors I probably would've jumped on a 5.3 with 50k and almost all acc. for $650 that I saw on CL over the weekend. Not gonna happen here for years. I've got some learning to do, plus I want to have fun with this 327 that I've worked hard to build. Hope everything goes well getting it up and running!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Overdrive Member

There was one here for $350. Yes the LS is going in a buddies SWB 04 Ram. Dare to be different I guess. Its a 6.0 with a hot cam and LS3 heads. On motor should be around 480.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

That does sound like a pretty interesting combo, and cool. Must have been quite a job fab'ing everything to work, and then the wiring... Give the guy credit, couldn't have been easy.

Spring compressor is coming today, the trans should be dry fit tonight. I will have to take the forward/direct clutch pistons to be machined tomorrow and hopefully can have this thing done by tomorrow night (as long as I don't have to wait days to get the pistons back!) Finally.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Wish LS motors were that cheap here! People seem to think they're gold here! I'd consider an LS and trans swap in my '69 Burb if I could get the combo under $1000 here! Even an LQ is over $500 around here.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Wish LS motors were that cheap here! People seem to think they're gold here! I'd consider an LS and trans swap in my '69 Burb if I could get the combo under $1000 here! Even an LQ is over $500 around here.
I think we gotta turn your posts into a drinking game. That's a lotta "here's" you have there!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member

They are 300-500 for a higher mileage 5.3 here. A 5.3 and 4L60E would cost about $1000 for the parts here. The 6.0 LQ4 for the Ram was $2600 shipped from Indiana I think. That came with everything. The company did a great job palleting it up. They cut the cut the exhaust before and after the O2 sensors, there are four. All the accessories were there with the ECM as well. When I get a couple bucks to spare I think I'm going to put a 5.3 in my '86. I have a bit to go before then though. I do have a fresh supply of car parts for the Camaro though. Summer will be fun this year.

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build