Need help locating area to cut hole in hood for b/b scoop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Question Need help locating area to cut hole in hood for b/b scoop.

I'm hoping to find someone who has installed a b/b chevy engine in a 2nd Gen and could tell me or measure for me, the distance from the leading tip of the hood back to the carburetor stud on which a 14 in air cleaner would be mounted. I would like to cut a hole for clearance before I paint the hood. As of yet the engine is not installed and I'd rather not have to mount the hood and have to pull it back off for fear of chipping paint. I have a 1979 Camaro so the measurement might be easier from the edge of the rubber bumper curve where the hood point closes back to the carb stud. It's about 36 inches even on a small block car, but I have to assume the distance on a b/b would be different. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

I would never EVER cut my hood on someone elses measurements. You have to factor in so much. The production tolerance alone makes this dagerous. I would put the motor in and start by getting a small hole with a drill. Then use painters tape a couple layers thick and jig saw my way to the hole I wanted. No two cars are the same so using someone elses is a gamble. There is 1/8" +/- or more on locating the subframe in any direction. Stack everything on that and you can be an 1" off. My car is a good example. I have solid mounts on the motor and the sub frame. Its not in the factory location at all. Even intakes may mount the carb in different spots.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Ditto^^^^^^ Damon's post! I've cut hood holes on numerous cars, and not only would I NOT trust other measurements, I'd never cut without having the engine in, and able to check fitment. You will find that cutting a hole from the engine or air cleaner measurement is only part of the problem. The second part is making sure it clears as the hood opens! If the tolerances are too close you'll find the hood's forward travel will end up hitting any protrusion from air cleaner or scoop. You don't want to have to recut with fresh paint on the hood!
I just went through this on my OT Falcon's hood, and even after careful measurement I had to make a 2nd cut to allow for the movement as the hood opened around my bug catcher scoop.
Take the time and effort to install and mock it up. It's a pain, but necessary to get things right.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sounds like words of wisdom from experience. Guess I'll wait and do it right.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 PM

To quote my Dad after botching a home project, " I don't understand it, I cut it twice and it was still too short! " Thanks for the advice on waiting to cut the hole until I can do it once and do it right.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL Thats funny. Also give your self room on both sides for the engine to rock as its revved. I have seen that happen, ripped to velocity stacks right off a tunnel ram too.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM

I have to do the same but a much larger hole for the supercharger. I'm going to use painters tape and mask off each side of the blower from the windshield to the nose with extra clearance and the same on the front and back onto each fender, remove blower and install hood hinges, get it all adjusted properly then close it and transfer tape onto hood and cut out the hole. I got my car without a hood or hinges, just picked up a hood on craigslist last month. I can't adjust hinges and hood for the first time with a blower in the way, much easier to remove it and adjust. Then off to get it painted, hopefully sometime this spring/summer