My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Thx, so the rod should come out with the master once I un pin it from the brake peddle? What are smashed type nuts? I'm assuming the metal lock nuts( I know them as stovers).

Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, it will come out with the master. The nuts Damon is referring to are the mounting nuts. The rod is pinned to the pedal, not bolted usually, unless someone has lost the pin.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL yes the pin is always MIA. The nuts I was refering to are like the nut on stock rockers.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I really like your paint rack. Coming along good.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah the paint racks custom. I never really got into the powder coating stuff enough to justify building anything that was fancy. Plus like i said with that oven it doesn't really matter what i do its still going to be hard to get the parts into the oven.

So i went back out to the car and worked on it for a couple hours today. I was again hoping to get more stuff done but it never works out like i hoped.

I finally got the passenger side assembled and the tire bolted on. When i started to adjust the ride height i set both coil overs to the same height, the when i set the car back down on the wheels the drivers side was around an inch lower. It took a while but then i realized that i didn't have the spring properly seated in the pocket on the car. Dropped the LCA again and reset the spring. Once i got it all back together the car sits nice.

It was asked before if i plan on lowering the rear of the car, and i said i was undecided. I am certain that i am not going to make it any lower then it is now. I love the stance now. If you had seen the pictures of it before hand you would be able to tell that i like a big rake on the car, this is a bit more mild then it was before. If i change anything on the stance it will be raising the front end a bit more for some fender clearance but i won't know if i need to do that until i finally get it on the road.

Heres a couple photos of the car how it sits now. Im going to head out there tomorrow and try the SFCs then the suspension is pretty much complete and i can go on to the next project which will be brake components.

Let me know what you think of the stance, i know theres a few people that are following this thread that are more into the pro touring look but let me know either way, as always, comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Name:  DSC01636.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  133.9 KB
Name:  DSC01637.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  113.3 KB
Name:  DSC01635.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  105.1 KB
Name:  DSC01634.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  127.3 KB

Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Those are drop springs? That thing is a full 3" higher than mine. Did you tighten the rear springs befor you put weight on the tires? if you did the rear may be bound up in that position. If not I would dawg your car, its your car. I like my in the weeds. Your more of a face down azz up kind of guy I can tell.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

Man this project is Comming along great. I will be staying tuned in

Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm a big fan of a little nose down rake also, but I'd probably drop the rear a bit to get rid of some of the wheelwell opening above the rear tires. I adjusted mine to get the gaps above the tires equal front to rear, but got the rake with taller rears, and smaller fronts. I'm also a fan of big/littles, as long as the littles don't go too skinny for handling.
When I rebuilt my suspension last fall I dropped the front slightly, but kept the rear where it was before the rebuild.
Name:  DSCF3068.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  156.3 KB

Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear member

No these are not drop springs, i read back a bit and cant see where i would have said that. The springs are fairly new, maybe have 1000kms on them from the time that we put them in many years ago. I did tighten the springs without weight on them so i will see if it sags down a bit when i loosen them up. I also still have to install those rubber isolator pads in between the spring perch and the spring which will take away around a half inch above the tire. These tires are short compared to my last ones, fully aired up they measure 26" something.

Val im sort of doing the same thing you did on your last rebuild, i havent touched the rear suspension and i have lowered the fronts. Also my tires are much closer to the same height as each other then they were before.

Got some work to take care of for the next little while but i am hoping to be able to head out there a bit later tonight and get something done, maybe it will be a good time to get those pads in and check to see if the hangers are binding the suspension up.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Overdrive Member

I guess I was wrong. I would for sure loosen the spring and shackle bolts. Your bound up.

Quick Reply: My 1970 Camaro w/ 572 Build