79 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That has to be rough doing that. I've never been close to someone with cancer yet somehow. I dread it. It's good that you are there for him.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

thx i lost my mom 1 yr ago now my dad has cancer been a rough couple years,i take care of him the best i can,im just kinda glad im laid off right now,but need to find something soon.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Overdrive Member

That sucks. My gramps just passed last year from cancer. I couldn't stand to see that happen again.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

OK, got laid off on Thursday. Went out with the family to do some Christmas Shopping yesterday. I'm going to head out to the garage this morning and get to cleaning it up. What a mess! I'll get some pics before I start. Basically whatever I pulled out of my work truck in a heap, and a mountain of boxes for shipping stuff sold on ebay and forums. First things first though, got to get the heater running out there.

Then I can start knocking this sucker out. It will be nice to get going on it again. I've got some stuff to consider too. The Parts car I have has new bushings in the control arms, but they are not blasted and POR15'ed. I know that it won't be worth the effort to pull the bushings out and swap them to mine. I guess I'll just get in the middle of it and decide. So pics coming.

BTW, any professionals on here on LinkedIn? Anyone know of anyone hiring for Tech stuff, networking, Field Engineers or anything? LMK. Thanks, I will not sit around all winter if I can help it.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Overdrive Member

I would pull the arms and blast them with the bushings in place. The media should bounce off the rubber. Pic a spot behind the garage and have at it. That way the sand won't be all over the yard when the snow melts. I guess you could just shovel the sandy snow up.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

yeah thats how i did mine,sand blasted them with the new bushings in,but i used walnut shells.never tried regular sand where do buy that at,must be cheaper than walnut shells

Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Overdrive Member

I get playground sand at Lowes for I think 3 bucks for a 40# bag. I was getting 80# constuction sand for $7. The trip to the supplier was way out of the way too. Sand is some deadly chit. Be careful and use the proper safety. I tied a rag around my nose and mouth but still found myself wheezing that night. Then I tried a 3m respirator, I was told they arent rated for blasting but they have to be better than nothing.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear member

Sand is very deadly!!! Tractor Supply has " Black Diamond"abrasive for like 8 bucks for 80lbs. This stuff is aggressive. You can try Harbor freight also. Alum Oxide is Expensive stuff

Old 12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Overdrive Member

I forgot I saw Black Diamond at TS. I never checked to price though. I had already blasted most my car. I have a big Rubbermaid garbage can that I built casters for. So when I'm done I sweep up the sand and filter it through a screen back into the can. Works great, I don't know if Black Diamond would break down doing that.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I get black beauty at menards. I will not use silica sand. I've sucked in enough of that crap saw cutting into manholes buried in the ground. I may just do that tho. Silica is not only taken in through your lungs...

Quick Reply: 79 Camaro Project