632ci engine installation in 78 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Might as well put a couple of turbo's on it while your at it. Just my

Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Hi 1971BB427,
My concern at the moment is if the 632 fits into the stock camaro front subframe without cutting or welding the firewall and the engine mounts location. The 632 engine I am looking at is made of a dart block which I assume is bigger than the standard block of a 454. That is why I need to know if the engine mounts needs relocating...

Talking about chassis, body, and suspension upgrade:-

Regarding suspensions I purchased ridetech coil overs all wheels, ridetech 4 link, ridetech front muscle swaybar and ridetech strong A-Arms.

Rear end I am going for narrowed moser 9", 35 spline axles shaft, wavetrac limited slip rated to 1200hp lifetime warranty.

What other body and chassis upgrade do I need to invest in other than subframe connectors?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clacia
Hi 1971BB427,
My concern at the moment is if the 632 fits into the stock camaro front subframe without cutting or welding the firewall and the engine mounts location. The 632 engine I am looking at is made of a dart block which I assume is bigger than the standard block of a 454. That is why I need to know if the engine mounts needs relocating...

Talking about chassis, body, and suspension upgrade:-

Regarding suspensions I purchased ridetech coil overs all wheels, ridetech 4 link, ridetech front muscle swaybar and ridetech strong A-Arms.

Rear end I am going for narrowed moser 9", 35 spline axles shaft, wavetrac limited slip rated to 1200hp lifetime warranty.

What other body and chassis upgrade do I need to invest in other than subframe connectors?

Thanks
Most of the changes you've described are to handle better, but you also need more chassis changes for that amount of HP and torque. Subframe connectors are a minimum, and I would be looking into a full rollcage at least a 6 pt., but better to be 8 or 10 pt. to help stiffen the body even further. If you add a 4 link to the back, with stock lightweight stamped steel frame rails, it will most likely twist those 10 ga. stamped sheet metal rails in short period of time. I'd be looking at a Morrison weld in subframe rear to properly attach a 4 link and 9" Ford to. Then the cage would have something to attach to.
You can look up the specs on a Dart Big M block and see if they are somehow much different than a stock BBC. My understanding is the differences are not in the areas that would make it not fit. The bellhousings bolt pattern is the same, motor mounts the same, and still has both side and front motor mounts. It even has the hole for factory clutch pivot ball, if one wanted to try and use stock mechanical clutch linkage.
Not sure if you'll be able to use a stock heater box, but that's minor. Also will most certainly not accept a stock hood, butt if I ran a Dart Big M I'd leave the hood off so everyone could see it. I'm sure a tall cowl hood would fit over it though.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear member

Hi, You read my mind. I already bought a 6" cowl hood to clear the intake and air cleaner. With the 6" cowl hood looks very agressive...

Will contact Morrison for a good selection.

Heater will be deleted as well. Will check about the dart dimensions.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Hi All, I have been reading some posts in this camaro forum and I am now persuaded to upgrade the chassis by installing a 6 point roll cage and re-enforce the rear frame rails.

What roll cages and material do you recommend? Any good brand names?

As well I did not see many posts on 632 engines on this forum. Biggest engine I read about since now on this forum was a 572 from GM (well done sudstoy on your build. https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81...d-62540/page4/).

I am very unsure of what engine to select weather a 632 or a 572. Why choosing a 632 and not a 572 or vice versa? Any suggestions whether selecting a GM 572 or 632 Nelson Racing Engines? I would like to hear your opinions.

Thank you all and have a great week!!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

BD Racing has some nice cages at affordable prices. They would be my first choice for a kit. Summit also sells kits. Most 8-10 point cages will run around $500 for kits, and probably another $100-$150 shipping.
If you're not planning much drag strip time the 632 seems a bit overkill. I'd be more inclined to buy an engine based on a stock BBC 4 bolt main design. You'll end up with something more serviceable with off the shelf parts, plus save a lot on your build budget. Probably still want the same chassis upgrades with anything from 502-572, so that wont change. Just a lot more availability, and less money for these cubic inch sizes. Plus they'll be more streetable, so you could actually do some driving and not just from gas station to gas station. BBC's are hard on MPG anyway, so don't want to end up at 2-3 MPG.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The reason you dont read about them is they are a max effort type engine. Most guys stop at 572" because it isnt that odd of an engine. They are almost dime a dozen at the track. The 632 used to be a Pro Stock, Tractor Pull, Monster truck engine. They can be built but why push the engine to its limits on bore and stroke? No room to rebuild it if it ever gets hurt. I picked 496 because its as common as a 383 really. Its a stroke 454 and if you were replacing the crank on a 454, it would cost the same to buy the stroker. Just like 350/383. even GM did it and sent them out the door in trucks. 555 is another awesome size motor. In fact if I built a BB it would be 555". Pat Musi builds some nice 555 motors with Edelbrock as crate motors.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Hello All,
Thanks for your replies. Now I know what you mean by choosing a different engines other than 632. And you are 100% right. I will check out Pat Mussi and give him a call/mail. There is also steve schmidt which build hood engines. He makes 565 and 590. Have a look at the link and see what you think. 565 Pro Street High Performance Engine - Steve Schmidt Racing Engines
Thanks again

Old 12-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I've always liked engines that made good numbers (hp/torque) but didn't push the limits of bore and stroke. Staying safely within the max limits for bore and stroke allows for future work if needed. Nothing worse than building an exotic engine, then having a ring break and score the cylinder wall, only to find out it's bored to it's max and can't be bored a little more to clean up the scratch.
I even tend to not go any further in bore and stroke than is needed. The difference in say 20-30 cubic inches is not much HP if both engines are built identical. There's also the budget part, and an engine that's bored out to a safe amount is pretty cheap to build. But once you've gotten into changing rotating assemblies, the longer crank now requires different rods and pistons, and the build price goes up significantly.
Giant monster builds are cool, but usually only for guys with gold chains, or serious race ambitions.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear member

You are all giving good reasons why staying to 572. Now I am having the answer why few uses 632. So if I stay in the 572 range, is it still within the limits if it needed to have rebored in case of a ring failure etc?

Quick Reply: 632ci engine installation in 78 camaro