1st Day progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm with you on not wanting to sit. It drives me insane to not do things. Even things the doc has scolded me for doing before. I had a slipped disc in '10 and keep having issues since the surgery. Changing my tires and my wifes tires didn't help that much. I've pretty well decided to live with it though. Physical therapy only helped to a point. Luckily I have a high pain tolerance (I drove myself to 3 different ERs with a slipped disc so bad that I could barely move my leg.) My wife used to constantly get on me for doing certain things also. I think she's given up though lol.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

We've got a lot of similar stories it sounds like! I remember having to replace the starter in my Jeep when I had been home from the hospital for 4 days. Couldn't stand being trapped at my house (even though I had 103 staples still in me) and wanted to go get a 6 pack LOL!
I didn't go through the years of hell just to put a million miles on the couch or arm chair, I had all that stuff done so I could live my life! I think the main reason why I still do what I do is because of my anger and resentment at the way all the subsequent surgeries went when I was told "if you don't have this done, you'll never be better." Yeah right. After my 4th, the neurosurgeon severed the nerve root on my spinal cord which made my left leg and foot go to "sleep" forever. Too much scar tissue from the prior operations and he couldn't see the nerve. Never mentioned that possiblity to me and I wasn't even having problems with my legs at the time! So, rather than use a walker for the rest of my life as I was told I would have to, I'd rather walk like a zombie!

Again, sorry to rant on your thread man. My 6 year old daughter just reminded me that today's the day we go get the rest of the brakes/steering out of the Camaro. I love having helpers.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Meh, too many medical issue to call it a rant to me! A severe copper deficancy is still my worst problem.

I have a helper as well. She's still got a year before she can go to school due to a late bday. I have a pic of her using a play tool set while I was working on the car. The first thing she asks me every morning is, "Daddy, when are you going to work on the Camaro?" She's going to be a tom boy if it kills me. I've already got her into loving to go mudding with me.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

With the exception of removing the hood, I've done everything on my Camaro so far by myself. It's the laying on the ground part that's no fun.

There's nothing better than having the kids help. My daughter will turn some bolts out for me and things like that but I still haven't been able to get her to embrace getting dirty. It's hilarious when I see the look on her face after she realizes that she just got her hands dirty. She'll still do it, but not comfortably.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Great timing on the health discussion. I'm sitting healing from hernia surgery last Tuesday and have a $650 box of suspension parts waiting to get put in my wife's Vibe, not to mention the last few sheet metal panels to repair in my interior on the Camaro. As much as I feel better I have to bite the bullet and wait for the doc's clearance before I jump back in. With ski season only a couple of months away I don't want to screw up! I feel your pain!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

I am only 58 and I am 100% disabled by the U.S. government. I believe I was glowing from the large amount of X-Rays they gave me. If I am lucky I can get an hour of work done on my Camaro, then I have to come in and lay down. Gives me a lot of time to engineer things in my head.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Where do I start? 85% disability in my r. wrist, no ACL in my r. knee, ankles that have almost no cartilage left, two bad shoulders from years of working overhead, and then I got banged up elk hunting last week! Smashed my r. trigger finger when some rocks slid while hiking around, and punched a hole in my l. shin when I hit something while riding the quad one morning.
Afterwhile you just learn to do what you can, and try to ignore the pain and discomfort. What's the option? Sit on the couch and miss out on all the fun?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL I'll jump in. 8 surgeries on my ankle have slowed me down. I was standing a the grill literally right after coming home from my Plantar Faciotomy. Then a couple weeks ago I was working on the fork lift at work and dropped one of the forks on my finger from about 6". Well my middle finger exploded. Here's a link to the pic. I don't want to openly post it. Its ugly and don't want to scare anyones kids. The xray isn't so bad. I had to go back to work afterward. Oh yeah the medicine I currently take conflicts with opioids. Meaning no pain killers for me.
Name:  2012-10-05_19-15-53_74.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  98.4 KB
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...-25-39_350.jpg
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...-23-56_361.jpg

Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh yeah good work on the car. It looks like someone has had it apart completely before. The buff colored primer on the floor isn't factory.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear member

all things in time

Quick Reply: 1st Day progress