1st Day progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1st Day progress

It's been a while since I posted on here but, I finally got her in the garage to work on. I got the door stripped down as far as it can go. I also put everything in seperate labeled bags and took pics of everything along the way (yes, I'm a little OCD lol.) In a couple days, when I recover from todays work, I'm going for the passenger side. From what I've glimpsed from the frame, the rust doesn't look anything past surface. Easily sandable away.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear member

You got more done in a day than i would have gotten done in a month haha,i hate working on my car anymore.Looks like you will have it all apart in no time though.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My original intention was to just get both doors off. However when I got the driver's door off and started on the hinge, I saw it would be easier with the fender panel off. So, I went on from there. I don't really hurt as bad as I thought I would today though.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear member

That's most of my problem,everything my car needs done involves bending over,leaning down,or crawling under,all of which would have me sore for several days,sad thing is i'm only 38,but my back and knees think i'm about 80 haha.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm 34 but, I have a severe copper deficency that causes some severe leg stinging. I also have some shoulder, wrist and back issues as well. Pain meds help to a point but, not nearly enough. I'm able to ignore it enough to do something here and there but I pay for it once the adrenaline drops back down ><

Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So what are your plans after you get the other door, etc. off? Are you planning to strip it all the way down to frame. I am curious as I have been thinking about fixing my '79 up some more and am trying to decide how far to go. We are the second owner and have had it since December 1982. I don't plan to make it a show car but would like to make it more presentable. Drove it around a little this afternoon with my wife to run some errands. Though it needs a paint job, she commented when we went by this one car about how the driver was really looking at the Camaro or so it seemed. She thought he was probably wishing he was driving the Camaro (he was driving a van). It does have almost 300,000 miles on it though the engine has never been apart.

Concerning your aches and pains, I bought an '88 Corvette about two years ago as part of my therapy after two shoulder surgeries. It takes a contortionist to do a lot of the work on it so it helps loosen up the scar tissue and helps motivate me to move in ways that I would not normally do. I get sore as well but am 60. Hope you will get be able to overcome the pain and enjoy the work. Look forward to seeing step by step pics as you progress!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm planning on taking to the frame. I helped my father in law tow it into his yard in '06. It has been sitting there since. I want to make sure there are no issues on the frame and, if there are, fix them. At the very least, the frame needs a surface rust sanding and a repaint of the frame. The guys that he bought it from were in the process of stripping it down to race as well. So, I'm not totally sure what all they may have done under it. I'd rather know it's done right as well.

Working helps with the pain a lot. Even if only while I'm actually working on it. I'm sure I'm going to get to a point where it will hurt while I'm working on it. Until then though, I'm going to press on. I'm going to have to take a break soon but, it's like reading a good book to me. I can't put it down ; )

Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Good luck on making progress and dealing with the pain issues. Look forward to seeing lots of pics as you make progress.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default More progress!

I'm on day 4 now, here is the progress I've made so far. I also vacuumed out the interior pretty well. There is still more that needs cleaned in there. That is stuff the vacuum won't take up though. My next progress will likely be on the rear as much as I can.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Looking good!! keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: 1st Day progress