1979 Project. First ever for me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1979 Project. First ever for me.

Well I just purchased this got it home and excited. Looking forward to it!

Attached Thumbnails 1979 Project.  First ever for me.-backseat.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-door.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-engine.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-engine2.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-front-seat.jpg  

Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

More photos

Attached Thumbnails 1979 Project.  First ever for me.-outside.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-undercarriage.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks like clean seats and maybe a crate engine. What's the rest look like?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Speedometer doesnt work
ebrake is broken
and wipers dont work.
All the lights are good, interior dash etc.

Attached Thumbnails 1979 Project.  First ever for me.-outside2.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-front-end.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-front-seats2.jpg   1979 Project.  First ever for me.-side.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Looks like a good start. What are your plans for it?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I want a daily driver, I'm only a mile and half away from work. But I want something that will turn some heads and have some get up and go. I know money will be spent, but I dont want my retirement fund to go into it lol.

Not looking to do showroom for many reasons, first and foremost....I have never worked on a car before. Worked on my sport bike and did some basic oil change on my newer cars, but this is my true first attempt to work on a car. So I will be asking LOTS OF QUESTIONS and very open to advice and suggestions, I have always wanted to learn to work on cars, but never had a teacher and my first 10 years on Active duty moved me a lot. Me and the wife are setteled for another 3 years and I'm on shore duty and just got back from Afghanistan, so this is my down time to learn something new.

Ok so past the long story short awnser.

Daily Driver, Fast, clean looking (perfer original look vice updated).

Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear member

You have picked a good project to learn on.
It also looks like you have almost the same engine as I do in mine seen below. Please keep us posted.....

Attached Thumbnails 1979 Project.  First ever for me.-fan1.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Overdrive Member

First of all, Thank You for your service. My bro made it back from Afganistan and it was one of the few times a can remember that I got emotional when I seen him.

For y7our car there is a ton of knowledge here. If I can't answer your questions I know to get the answer.

Last edited by 77nomad; 07-14-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
First of all, Thank You for your service. My bro made it back from Afganistan and it was one of the few times a can remember that I got emotional when I seen him.

For y7our car there is a ton of knowledge here. If I can't answer your questions I know
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...ackle.pngwhere to get the answer.7\
Whatever your link is Damon, it doesn't work.

Ditto on the thanks for your service! My son in law is also career Navy. Stationed at Whidbey Is. now, but headed back to SD this fall. He's made 5-6 trips to the middle east in Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

WOW. i have know idea that link was in there. As a matter of fact I thought I closed my laptop without posting my comment. The link must have been a fat finger, I think it was left over from the shackle I posted for Steve. It jumped right in the middle of my sentence. I fixed it but its still in the quote in your comment.

I think your motor is from a early 90's pick up. The lack of a fuel pump tells me it was an old TBI motor possibly, It could be from a 3rd gen Camaro too. The turbo TA wheels are the only ones that came on a second gen that were 8" wide. Not super rare but hard to get.

Thats the first time I ever saw the PCV plumber to the back and the brake booster on the front. It doesn't matter really. Its just not the way I'd do it. I think its all around pretty solid.

A bit of advise up front. It really looks to me like the previous owner was a hack. I have a hunch your going to have a ton of WTF moments on that thing. Coupled with WHY! Why did they do this. Being that your not super experianced your not going to be able to spot some of these things. Don't get discouraged when you have to take two steps back just to go one step forward. We have all been there. Myself especially. The P/O of one of my trucks used a 2x4 and a piece of 3/4" plywood to shim up the cab mount.

Quick Reply: 1979 Project. First ever for me.