1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

16ga will be a bit heavy, but it will work. I usually use 18ga., but in areas I feel need more strength I use the 16ga. 18ga. is much easier to bend, and my little HF sheetmetal brake really struggles to make bends in 16ga.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Didn't get much done today, I cut off a bit more of the rear section of frame rails to square them up a bit and boxed the ends off so I can start building the new floor frame from there.
I'm gonna try to start pulling the engine out of the chrysler tomorrow once I get the alldata procedure printed out from the college, I start school tomorrow as well so I'll get to be back a little earlier for more work on the cars from now on.

Tomorrow I think I'll try welding in a brace for the frame connector to 4 link with some metal I have and the cut out the wheel tubs so I can figure out how I wanna do the new floor.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I started last week. I'm already scratching my head.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Man, oh man. going into the first week of my second semester with the train of thought that it'd be just like the first week from last semester, being that there would be no homework and all we would go over was safety stuff but I was horribly wrong I had 6 chapters to read and I had to literally spend over 5 hours on just the electrical chapter before I understood it.
But I've kinda got things regulated and back to normal now, luckily my hard work in the first chapter in electrical payed of netting me 14 out of 15 questions right when the rest of the clas was around 3 to 6 questions right so my teacher was way impressed bad side of it is I always get called onto to answer and explain crap now lol.
I didn't get much done this week and it'll be alot harder to spare time with classes like electrical and electronic controlls where I actually have to study but I think I'll have it regulated to get in much needed car time, today I got some of the floor frame and mounts done up so hopefully tomorrow I can get those put in I think it''l look pretty good and brace everything up nice when I'm done I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of what I'm doing.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I have been dealing with diodes, half/full wave rectifiers, dc power supplies and such. The first chapter was all about atoms and how they work. Not fun. The second chapter is the longest chapter in the history of books. Its like 60 pages that has some pretty wild math. I had to stop about 10 pages from the end so I can ask questions tomorrow after my four hour lecture. God why can I just do labs every day.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear member

I had a 53 pager, freggin sucks. For electrical we are still going over chapter one cause too many don't get it but it mostly covers the law's and the different circuit types, at first I thought it'd be peaches cause the instructor said our test's would just be the chapter review questions so I was like sweet all the answers are in the book and all I have to do is read but it took so long to understand and the last question I think was a set up because neither me or my instructor could figure it out.
Last year was simple, I had engines advanced engines, fuel systems tools and skills I could have passed all the classes with a B or a C without ever touching a book this year is gonna be nothing but study though mostly cause I want to keep my 4.0 I was stoked when I found out my scores first time I've ever had streight A's I want to do it again this semester but it's gonna suck.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

It's been so long since I did electrical theory I'm not sure I could remember, or explain it now. Most of it seemed like a waste of time once I started working, as I rarely used most of it. That was back in the mid 70's!!!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear member

6 years electronics engineering in the 70's.... I was a vacuum tube expert. First real job,rebuilding big power vacc tubes. We did discuss those newfangled transistor things!LOL.. Val remember typweriters?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah it's funny cause in electric the instructor say that ya need to know all of it for a basis and in electronic controls we are told that you have no use for any of that crap and you just need to know how to use a fluke and troubleshoot.
So somewhere in between I'm guessing theres a happy medium of knowing the right amount but not getting sucked into algorithyms when your just chasing a short to ground.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Remember typewriters? Heck I still have one here!

Knowing electronics and theory will help when you don't have factory part numbers, or need to figure out how to fix something that was poorly designed. If you have the skills to be more than just a parts replacer you'll find yourself in demand and out of work less.
If you have good troubleshooting skills, you'll also be a step ahead of 80% of others in the same field. I found in electrical work that most electricians hate troubleshooting, and will steer clear of anything that requires it. I personally hated the monotomy of just bending pipe and pulling wire all day. It was much more interesting designing an installation and trying to figure out how to make a system work. I also enjoyed having customers with old systems that nobody could keep running, or even get running. My stubborn nature made me try that much harder when I ran into a real head scratcher.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.