Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by james hellsing
That would be hard but cool val.
Didn't get alot done today pushed, pulled, and ratched it in the garage. Got the hood, drivers side fender and inner fender off. Man I love the way it comes apart seems so much simpler then the 79.
Would've got more done but I bought a 92 honda civic dx and had to get the title work done so now I've got my gas saver so no worries about neutering the camaro for mpg's though I'll still try to get the best I can out of it. Think I've decided for a fuel injection system over a carb but that won't be needed for awhile.
I hope you're numbering and taping all those shims together to keep track of where they came off!!!!! It will make reassembly much easier and keep you from pulling your hair out trying to line it all up again!
Make a drawing of each fender in a tablet and keep it marked as a map for reassembly.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Damon, I might take you up on that door jamb later on. I want to try to straighten out the one I have first but that'll be awhile before I get to that.

Val, even better I took photos of how many and where they came from for the shims.

Haven't got anything done to the car lately it stopped raining so I've been working 12's again but tomorrow I'll get to work on em.

changed the oil in the honda yesterday had the window rolled down and went to roll it up got it 3/4 of the way up but it got tight and so I stopped rolling thinking, oh I hope this window doesn't break sat down in the car and my leg bumped the window crank and it shattered on me. So there goes a hundred for a new window, friday is pay day I'll order my welder and one or two pieces of body metal to get started.

For now a few pictures though.
Name:  073.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  68.8 KB
Name:  062.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  69.8 KB
Name:  061.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  074.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  59.2 KB
My girlfriend was like I think it's a little broke lol.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Overdrive Member

She doesn't look enthused.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pictures are nice, but how many and where doesn't work since they're different thicknesses! Need to keep track of how many, of what thickness, went where.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I've bagged em and labled the bags, for the drivers fender the pictures will work cause on the bottom of the fender there was 3 small ones, and where the fender bolts on behind the hood spring there was one longer one so I can tell which ones go where from the pics but for the passenger side I'll tape em together and lable em.

Tomorrow I think I'll start about 9 and get the front valance area and pass fender off, Ya know I really hate chiltons books. I have the camaro book which is supposed to cover the first and second gen but for taking apart the front clip it only has diagrams for the 74 to 81!!! it's a waste of $20 I bought a honda civic one the other day and it's just as useless.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL Hayes is poop too. What I did for my shims was kept track of them and then with the fender off put the shims back in and tighten the bolt. Then the bolts get blasted too.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Actually now that you said that Damon I remember I did that too for one of the shims it was the bolt that you have to have the door open to get off. But now thinking about that, getting the pass fender off should be fun because to get that bolt out I need the door almost fully open but the door and fender hit so I can't get it open more then an inch gonna have to bend or dent something.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Didin't get alot done to the camaro today, spent an hour on the honda this morning taking the door panel and window regulator out, cleaned out most of the glass in the door too. Putting the new window reg in it is gonna suck the holes are small and no room to move.

Had to change the oil in my sisters ford escape so all I got done to the maro was take off the header panel? or upper portion of the nose, and got part of the fender bolts out then it was time to start cooking I'll get to it during the week sometime for now bbq chicken, corn, and taters.

Hope you guys are all having a great memorial day.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Porterhouse, corn on the cob, and baked taters on the grill here. Oh yeah and a helleva sun burn.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just spent a little time welding on the Austin, and got takeout, 'cause neither of us felt like cooking!
Hope you had a good Memorial Day!

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.