1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Overdrive Member

Yeah they got me "pinned" to the wall.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Got some work done to the car monday, took the sub frame off tried out the sand blaster... It pretty much sucks, it doesn't blast constantly so it's blast, wait a second blast, blast, wait two seconds lol. But it works, it'll just take awhile to do much of anything.
Tried setting the front of the car on the body box but then decided it'd be way easier to take the rear end and springs off with the car posistioned normally so I'll do that this weekend. I would have gotten more done but allison got bored after only 2 1/2 hours of working on the cars so we quit for the day.

School has been pretty good, thursday I got to dyno my dad's 04 dodge cummins. The engine was rated for 305 hp at the flywheel and it dyno'd at 260 at the wheel so it did pretty good. Been learning alot, the stuff that's been most interesting right now has been turbo chargers which brings me to the newest point of my build lol I'm about dead set now on a twin turbo set up on whatever type of ls engine I get. Reading that article about a 5.3 vortec with a cheapo ebay turbo kinda hooked me, idk if I'd trust a turbo like that though.

But for the moment some pics of what I got done monday.
Name:  049-1.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  136.3 KB
Name:  050-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  97.4 KB
Name:  051-1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  297.2 KB
Name:  052-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  104.6 KB

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Overdrive Member

I read the same article. 1200hp from what turned out to be a stock bottom end 4.8L. I have a LS swap book, I have to get it driving in its current state before i start changing the plan. But it sure is tempting.

Blasting sucks. Even with my compressor I have trouble getting some stuff off. The three coats of paint on my fenders took so long I when and got some paint stripper.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, at my point with just starting the tear down process I have plenty time to change my mind on the build.
I'm got a few books I want to buy to read up on swaps I'll get a power adder book to read up on the different set ups and process too.
Did some more sand blasting last night, blaster works a bit better if I repeatedly pull the trigger instead of just holding it down, is there a specific way to do it?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Overdrive Member

I just let 'er rip. If it starts to plug up I put my thumb over the end and let it blow itself out. If your compressor has a small tank you will need to let the supply catch up. Does your blaster have a pressure gauge? Mine never drops below 90 psi while blasting no matter how long I go. At my dads when I used his 5hp 20 gallon compressor, I couldn't get it to stay over 40psi while continuously blasting. I would stop and wait for the pressure to hit 120 and go. Within seconds it was back to 40 psi. Mine is 5 hp as well but with the 60 gallon tank. I don't have to let it catch up.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Got a 30 gal air compressor tank idk what hp, but it doesn't matter what pressure the tank is at for my gun it just isn't constant on the blasting.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear member

1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport project
What do you guys think of this? I could care less about the car but the tire's, wheels, axle's, and housing would make a good addition to my camaro, What housing length would be safe to work with my camaro? I'm gonna call tomorrow and offer $500 Which is all I'm willing to spend I highly doubt this deal is still around though.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Overdrive Member

If you plan on back halfing your car I'd jump on it. You would basically just cut off the frame and weld it into yours after removing the floor. Its a narrowed rear for sure and will be more of a prostreet set up. Plus he'll through it the rotisserie. That's worth it right there.

Last edited by 77nomad; 09-13-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I doubt I'd offer $500 since that's the asking price when I just looked at it. I agree with Damon, if you want the rearend, and plan on tubbing your Camaro, then it might be worth it, just for the rear frame and tires/wheels. I'd offer $400 if it was me, but even at $500 it seems fair.
keep the rear frame, axle, tires/wheels, and part the rest out to regain some money.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm getting the housing 4 link set up, frame, 31 spline axles (supposed to be moser but I didn't think they looked like it), 29 or 27 spline 3rd member, new MT sportsmans, and the weld prostars for $350.

I checked everything out tonight. The tires still have the little nubbie things on the tread, I couldn't find any cracks or scuffs on the wheels. The housing, axles, and frame looked good, the welds looked solid, the 4 link set up might need a little work but nothing unusual.
I talked to the guy on the phone and told him I really wasn't interested in the car so he offored to cut of the back half for me for $350 I always make a lower bid but he was firm on $350 and I'm getting a steal so I took it.

I had thought about spending the $500, sell the engine, part out the car and get back most of my money but then again I thought I could that with my duster that I bought for $150, but I had to give it away for $140 so I'd rather get what I want and not deal with the rest.

I'm gonna buy a cheap set of front wheels with some crap tires and sell the z28 rims with new tread and my 3.73 rear end, springs, traction bars and interior parts out of the camaro which should turn my money back and then some.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.