1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member

Have you girlfriend take pics, this should be interesting.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Hey next time you are at Harbor Freight check out their new Inside Track program. Saves you lots of money and gets members special discounts and coupons and members only sales. I save an extra $50 on the tool cabinet I just got for joining.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Have you girlfriend take pics, this should be interesting.
Gonna be that heavy huh? My dad and I used to pick up a scout II body and put it on the body sled we had for those so I guess I figured this wouldn't be that much heavier. Idk but I'll get it done somehow.

thanks orocker, I'll have to check that out.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Overdrive Member

With the axle in mine. Thats it. It took everything me and a buddy had to move it like a wheel barrow. Maybe cherry opicker hooked to the subframe mounts. Then set it down on your cart, then do the same from the rear bumper mounts.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm not gonna have the axle in mine. I've got to repair that spring perch so I might as well have it out of the way.
I might use my chain hoist on one end cherry picker on the other end and just roll the box under it but idk I don't want to twist the body or anything so I'd rather do it by hand.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Got my welder in today, should have the mask's by tomorrow hopefully.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I checked the tracking codes and apparently my mask's are stuck in denver and won't be here till the 2nd supposedly, kinda blows cause all I have is that little hand held face shield to weld with.
Oh well I don't have gas yet anyways I'll practice a bit with flux core I'm gonna lose my cats on the honda since I don't need em here, they and the pipe are almost rusted through anyways so I'll test out the welder for a bit then try on the pipes.
Once I get done playing with the welder hopefully I'll get the camaro in the garage [fingers crossed] and can get some actual work done. probably gonna take off the doors and take off what i need to to get the front ready to drop my girlfriend is still on vacation so I have yet another full weekend to work.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Overdrive Member

Congrats, it was 3 months before I even opened the box on my welder.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah took me about an hour after I got home and saw it on the porch that I opened mine lol, but man I'm tired. 6 hours of weld, grind, weld, grind, trying it out and practicing. I understand what you guys ment now by the flux splattering, I'm gonna have to practice alot cause I suck. I try to go slow to get a good steady bead and I burn through it, I try to go faster and it just looks like crap, definitely gonna take alot of practice. Once in awhile I'll have a good steady clean weld then the rest look like crap lol.

Didn't even get to the camaro today though, spent the morning in town at the bank, metal recycling place, and oriellys. Then back home to take the exhaust off the honda, then welding the rest of the day. Tomorrow I'm gonna weld some in the morning before it gets hot then push the camaro in the garage and start on it and if I'm not finished with the welding I'll finish in the evening when it's cool.

I need to find my camera tomorrow so I can post some pics.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Overdrive Member

I burn myself every other day at work with flux core wire.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.