1973 Z28 project rusty gold.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by james hellsing
Well tomorrow I'm either getting my welder (if home depot has it) or ordering it, so I'll have it by next week hopefully. it's supposed to be an online only thing but I'm gonna check my local HD anyways.

I'm excited to get my own welder to mess with, tomorrows agenda is replacing civic spark plugs and giving it a check up then moving the camaro into the garage and starting the real tear down.
My girlfriends out in michigan visiting family so I've got all day tomorrow and sunday to strip the camaro some more, build the body stand, drop the front sub and rear end and mount it on the body lift. gonna suck in the heat but 100 isn't as bad as it could be.
Where is she going? I'll send her home with that door jamb if you want. Seriously. Free. No pervert whats your girl look like deal at all. I am going to scrap the car soon. Oh yeah which welder did you decide on?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

She's in portage down by kalamazoo, It's too far for me to ask her to drive and her mom is a royal b!tch so it would never happen but thanks for the offer.

I actually went with the lincoln handy mig you showed me, since it comes with everything I need other then a good mask and gas it seemed like a better choice.
gonna get a mask from harbor freight maybe a sandblasting mask too.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Will this mask be good enough for sand blasting/painting? or will I need something better?
http://www.harborfreight.com/p95-mai...tor-66554.html

Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Well my plans for making some actual progress today and tomorrow got foiled, my dad said I have to wait another week before I get to use the garage.
Wouldn't be so bad if I haven't been told that for 3 weeks but I guess I'll just do what I can outside.
I got the welder ordered from summit, a welding and a paint/blast mask from harbor freight it all should be here thursday or friday hopefully.

Cleaned the inside of the camaro a bit today, changed the plugs in the civic and between last night and today got a radio put in it.

Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting constant 12volt to the radio when all the fuses were good but there was a "back up" fuse under the hood that was bad, replaced that and voila now I have a radio that won't eject cd's without help and has no radio hook up because the P.O. was a dumb bass and cut all the wires to the radio. but at least I got tunes!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Good choice on the welder. The mask is what you need but I would have got a 3M. They sell them at Lowes for 20 dollars. No big deal just that with the one from 3M replacement filters are readily available. K-zoo is about an hour out of the way. Too bad.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I've gotten my body box for the camaro done.
I've built it with 2x4's and have cross members upon cross members lol, the wood I used is pretty crappy and un-even since my dad buys all the uneven and crooked wood from home depot when they have a full cart for like 5 bucks but I didn't have to spend any money on it and it looks like a turd but as long as it works that's all that matters.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL I'm thinking of building one myself. Probably 3' high with casters. Then I can do the rockers easier. Its gonna be that or cribs under the wheels.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear member

Mine should be about 3 foot 4 inches tall with the wheels, not sure how good it will roll though I might need bigger rollers but it should work alright.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Overdrive Member

How are you getting it on there?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Probably with a cherry picker and me and jack stands and what ever else comes in handy at the time. Or a couple of people which would be prefered.

Quick Reply: 1973 Z28 project rusty gold.