What did you do to your camaro today

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah Ben,pretty much all it needs is the middle section of the front spoiler,new seat covers,and a good cleaning.It has a few chips in the paint,but no big deal for now.As for what i had before,i have an 81 sport coupe,that has been a huge project for the last year,but still needs alot of work to get it right,so i am going to strip it down,save most of the parts for in case i ever need them,and sell the body as a parts car or a cheap project car for someone else to deal with haha.I got in over my head with that one,i put new quarter patches front and back on both sides,and alot of other work,but it still needs the whole tail panel replaced,and the passenger side frame rail which was the deciding factor to stop and get a better one,i have the frame rail,just not the confidence to replace it,haha.

Steve,as for my plans for it,drive the hell out of it haha.I am going to put the seats from my 81 in it,they are the same color just cloth inserts instead of all vinyl,i am going to install my msd box,will be putting in the solid body bushings i have sitting here that were intended for the 81,then some subframe connectors,other than that i wont be doing much,i will wait until next winter and then strip it down for a new paint job,but thats about it.The motor is already the way i want it so i'm good there.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a really good plan, and you'll save tons of time and money! It's always better to start with a solid car, and as you've discovered they are out there for reasonable prices.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.M.
Steve,as for my plans for it,drive the hell out of it haha.I am going to put the seats from my 81 in it,they are the same color just cloth inserts instead of all vinyl,i am going to install my msd box,will be putting in the solid body bushings i have sitting here that were intended for the 81,then some subframe connectors,other than that i wont be doing much,i will wait until next winter and then strip it down for a new paint job,but thats about it.The motor is already the way i want it so i'm good there.
Well, that is awesome then. It would be so nice to have something ready to run and drive.

I'm off work all week. I really hope I can get something done on the car.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM

I just changed-out my open 3.08 differential with a 3.73 posi unit. I've only been able to drive it twice due to the weather, but what a difference it made.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by ATM
It would be so nice to have something ready to run and drive.
Yeah,that was my one requirement when i started looking for another one,was it had to be a drivable car now.I didnt care too much how the body or interior looked,as long as it was'nt a total rust bucket.I actually had a few really good deals come through from my craigslist posting,but this one hit all the right buttons being a Z28,a 4 speed,350 which i found out later is a 355 with a decent cam,and a posi.The next one i would have looked at if this did'nt come through was a red 81 Z28,automatic,all original,but it needed a paint job because it was faded really bad,and the only bodywork it needed was a small rust hole about the size of a golf ball needed fixed in the passenger side rocker.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
That's a really good plan, and you'll save tons of time and money! It's always better to start with a solid car, and as you've discovered they are out there for reasonable prices.
Yeah Val,i learned my lesson about selling off parts you may need later.Several years ago i had an 80 that caught fire,but all the interior and the whole body were still in good shape,it was an engine fire so everything else made it out,i stripped the car down because i knew eventually i would get another one,kept the parts for a few years,did'nt have another car to use them on so i sold it all.6 months later i bought the 81 that i have been working on,and trying to track down some parts it needed,alot of which i had,but sold lol.As far as starting with a solid car,it is definitely like nite and day,this will be so easy to finish,plus i can drive it while i do the few things that it needs.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear member

I warmed it up, backed it out of the garage and parked it out in the snow cause my dad wanted the garage space ;(. Only a month or two before the weather might be good enough to drive all the time though!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

I tried a new set of hood springs Harwood sent me. They were barely strong enough to hold the hood up. If you even touch it it drops. Called Summit, they called Harwood, and they suggested I try a prop rod as they have nothing stronger. Really not what I want to do but if I don't find a good set of springs I may have to.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Pablo63
I tried a new set of hood springs Harwood sent me. They were barely strong enough to hold the hood up. If you even touch it it drops. Called Summit, they called Harwood, and they suggested I try a prop rod as they have nothing stronger. Really not what I want to do but if I don't find a good set of springs I may have to.
Have you looked into some pneumatic rods like some of the newer cars use on hoods and trunks? Maybe they could be adapted to work on your car's hood? I looked at some to put on my Austin to assist in opening and closing the front end. There's a lot at the wrecking yard I found that might work on a 2nd gen Camaro.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

There is apparently a set from Home Depot or something that will work.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183950

This is where I had asked about it on Nasty Z28, about half a page down is a link to the spring.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=519

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today