Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright I will

Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

As of today I completed the mechanical part of my Austin gasser build! All the running gear is done and functional. Got the front shock mounts built and welded in. Linkage for the tunnel ram is sorted out, and the throttle cable is done. Turned out to be a real head scratcher, but once I got it figured out, it was actually very simple to get the two canted carbs linked to a common shaft.
I ended up just mounting the common shaft to one carb, then installed 3 arms off that shaft to operate the two carbs, and also attach throttle cable to the third arm. Installed a clip to the front of the top plate underneath to hook a return spring to for both carbs. Also fabbed up a bracket to hold the end of the throttle cable after turning it 90 degrees so it would pull straight down to open the two Holleys.
Here's a pic of what I came up with:
Name:  aus139.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  78.6 KB
And another from farther back with both spacers under the scoop, and ready to drive:
Name:  aus140.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  77.8 KB
One with the hood closed and the Hilborn scoop peeking through the new hole:
Name:  aus138.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  81.3 KB

After the holidays I'll begin the interior, and then take a break to enjoy it. Next fall I'll start the bodywork and hopefully try my hand at painting it myself! It's been a whirlwind 5 months to get her street ready!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I've never seen the linkage on a dual set up before but yours look pretty cool and I love the scoop. Looks good man!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Overdrive Member

5 months, wow! Take a break and drive it. Maybe your wife could sew your seat covers? I don't know if she's into that stuff but if so its a good way to get her involved.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
5 months, wow! Take a break and drive it. Maybe your wife could sew your seat covers? I don't know if she's into that stuff but if so its a good way to get her involved.
Seat covers are the only interior item I don't need. The old racing buckets have execellent covers and I'm keeping them. I am going to unsnap them and change the padding underneath to something a bit denser to make them a bit more comfortable though.
Doors and side panels will be flat masonite with just plain black naugahyde covering them. I'll just glue it on and wrap it around, then screw them to my doors and interior panels. The floors and rear divider panels will get wool felt carpets, so that will just require making the divider panel to the trunk and the shelves to cover what used to be rear seat area.
I wasn't going to carpet or do sound barrier before, but now I've decided it will be a little more finished than my original plan. The car has evolved more into a street vehicle with occasional trip to the strip, so I'm more concerned about sound deadening than weight reduction.
Heck, it might evolve even more as I go along; I never seem to get these things done exactly as planned in the beginning!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

That is looking really cool. Love the engine. The linkage on those carbs looks like it would be a head scratcher. Hope it works out. I've never seen a car like that but I'm liking it.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Hey Vall, you any good at wood working? Oak would be awesome in there.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear member

swapping insurance from the 98 firebird back to the 79 camaro next week so i can start working on it again, pretty excited, gonna be back on CF a'lot more now that i got a dime to spend, and a place to work.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:12 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I put new brakes and windshield wipers on my car today. The old brakes had, literally, a paper thin amount of life left on them.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by ATM
That is looking really cool. Love the engine. The linkage on those carbs looks like it would be a head scratcher. Hope it works out. I've never seen a car like that but I'm liking it.
Thanks Steve. Yeah, it definitely different, but then I didn't want something everbody else had!

Damon,
I'm OK with woodworking, but I hate it! Takes me forever to build a stock for one of my antique rifles. I'd much rather be doing ANYTHING with metal, than wood!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your camaro today