What is the best method for sbc valve lash adjustment? AND CHECKING VALVE PISTON CLEARANCE

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What is the best method for sbc valve lash adjustment? AND CHECKING VALVE PISTON CLEARANCE

Of all the methods out there what do you feel is the best?

I have never installed the crane roller rockers on my new edelbrock 2.02 heads before
so I don't want to screw it up and break shtuff

I want to set them set right before I start it

Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: What is the best method for sbc valve lash adjustment? AND CHECKING VALVE PISTON CLEARANCE

Valve lash, use a feeler gauge to check the rocker to valve clearance. Use either plasti gauge or clay on a cylinder and then put the heads on and then rotate the motor. YOu can then measure how much space you have.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: What is the best method for sbc valve lash adjustment? AND CHECKING VALVE PISTON CLEARANCE

There are several methods, depending if you are using hydraulic or solid lifters, but I never heard of using plastigage for adjusting valve clearance. Let us know what you have.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shnormo

Use either plasti gauge or clay on a cylinder and then put the heads on and then rotate the motor. YOu can then measure how much space you have.
That was piston to valve clearance

Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Look here at this thread (I know I'm new here, I've got 2 threads going)

But What I have is in this thread sorry

HELP!! 70cc or 64cc combustion chambers???? https://camaroforums.com/m_41188/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: z28pete

There are several methods, depending if you are using hydraulic or solid lifters, but I never heard of using plastigage for adjusting valve clearance. Let us know what you have.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear Member

This is a copy paste thing but it saves me typing we can talk about rocker arm wear patterns later....
All you need is some modeling clay, a set of calipers and a sharp exacto knife.

First off, you start by rotating the number one cylinder to top dead center. Then (I use WD-40) spray a bit of lubrication on the top of the piston. Then take a piece of modeling clay and put a strip over both valve relief's. Then install the head (spray a light film of lubricant on the valve faces) with gasket and install 4 head bolts around the number one cylinder. Just snug the bolts to get the head square. Not more than five foot pounds. Then set the push rods and rockers to the cam manufactures adjustment, then rotate the engine through a full revolution of number one cylinder. Then remove the cylinder head and using a sharp knife blade, cut through the center of each valve relief. Then carefully remove one half of the clay to measure the thickness. Measure the thickness with the calipers to get a correct piston to valve clearance. I like to have at least 0.080 to 0.085 on the intake, and 0.100 to 0.110 on the exhaust. Remember to look at the manufactures installed thickness of the head gasket at proper torque and make corrections as needed.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Rotate engine at least 2 complete revolutions. This will assure you that both the intake and exhaust valves are actuated. As far as plasti-gauge use, I've never heard of using that. In fact I don't think it is made in the thicknesses you would need to measure piston to valve clearance. I have always used clay and that works just fine.
ORIGINAL: GRIFF

This is a copy paste thing but it saves me typing we can talk about rocker arm wear patterns later....
All you need is some modeling clay, a set of calipers and a sharp exacto knife.

First off, you start by rotating the number one cylinder to top dead center. Then (I use WD-40) spray a bit of lubrication on the top of the piston. Then take a piece of modeling clay and put a strip over both valve relief's. Then install the head (spray a light film of lubricant on the valve faces) with gasket and install 4 head bolts around the number one cylinder. Just snug the bolts to get the head square. Not more than five foot pounds. Then set the push rods and rockers to the cam manufactures adjustment, then rotate the engine through a full revolution of number one cylinder. Then remove the cylinder head and using a sharp knife blade, cut through the center of each valve relief. Then carefully remove one half of the clay to measure the thickness. Measure the thickness with the calipers to get a correct piston to valve clearance. I like to have at least 0.080 to 0.085 on the intake, and 0.100 to 0.110 on the exhaust. Remember to look at the manufactures installed thickness of the head gasket at proper torque and make corrections as needed.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Good point I didnt catch that. Another thing I do that might be overkill is when you start going through the process of turming over the engine by hand(dont do this proceedure with the starter) especially with the heads on is that I dont like to torque directly on the damper bolt I use a steel plate with three holes where the bolt to the damper and weld a old socket on the end to turn it over you dont want to break the damper bolt off. Maybe there are other opinions on this????