Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Great drive home this evening. What a difference, almost completely quiet now. Still need to talk to the owner about what he did altogether. I know about the .009 "adjustment" but I thought I heard him say somehting about a new bearing or two? Don't really care if it's right now but I'm still missing the old parts that I asked them for 6 times and didn't get back and kinda curious why there's an extra 70 or so miles on the car and half a tank of gas is missing....not surprised at this point. Wish the weather would have held out one more day for me to drive a bit but can't really gripe at this point, the car is home.
This weekend I'll start tearing the car down and get some real pictures and a project thread going. I'll get some pics of the exhaust for you as promised Nomad. BIG BIG thanks to all who helped with guidance and wisdom through this seemingly neverending craziness!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Overdrive Member

Just call me Damon. Glade your good now.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Default It's v8chvyguy had to start over

Had an issue with my account. I had to re register, not happy.

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I had to drop the car off late at night (only way to get a ride home) so I was not able to look when the cover came off. I asked them to not put the cover back on until I got there to take a look and have the issues explained to me. I am going to get ahold of them soon as it should be done today. Does "off the toe" refer to the pinion gear v8chvyguy?
Originally Posted by 77nomad
I beleive, and might be wrong. That the toe is the tip of the tooth on the ring gear. Simply the pattern was showing that the tip of the tooth was getting the contact instead of the center. I'm sure V8chvyguy can enlighten both of us. I have't done rear end work really. I can pull them apart and put them back together but haven't got into building one.
The reference is to the contact face of the tooth or it's profile. Looking at the driveside of the tooth, cut it into two halves horizontally and two vertically, Top, root, heal, toe. Top is the top half, Root is the bottom half, Heal is the outside half (farthest from centerline), toe is the inside half (closest to centerline). Your pattern will be a combination of these, in your case, you probably had bad root toe or top toe contact. Depending on the cut of the gear (2 cut or 5 cut) what you want is a nice smooth center contact. You said they made a .009 change. If it's a backlash change, that's alot. If it's a pinion depth change, that's not much.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
True, but the difference is what you did with it. If you send it out the door knowing it's not right, then you've made a mistake. If you yell for help and fix the issue before giving it to the customer, then you're a good mechanic.
I think you're missing my point, which is, you come across one that absolutely cannot pattern right.
If you're referring to myself and this particular Dana 60, then you're assuming that it's issue could be rectified, it couldn't. At the time it was a 32yo Dodge D60 dually front axle that had everything bad done to it in it's life. It was so badly twisted that the center line of the pinion and the carrier were no longer perpendicular. The cast iron had sagged and twisted. If your're thinking it's not possible, I have the tooling to check it that's how we found the issue. I got the best possible pattern and shipped it out the door. It was what we call a competition pattern, wide toe contact from top to root, which will work fine in the guys pulling truck.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

What happened to your login ID? That's crazy, are they gonna fix it so you get your status back?
After talking with the owner this morning and reading your post, the problem I believe was bad root toe contact. The contact pattern now is about perfect. He drew me a picture of where the contact pattern was and what it looks like now. Wasn't what I had in mind when I let them know I wanted to look for myself but it's not like I would have had an educated opinion of it anyway. I managed to get the old parts this morning too and pray that I'm done with that place now.

I really shouldn't speak for other people V8350/chvyguy but I think the comment BB427 was making was more directed toward the order of events that happened with me and the shop not doing it right the first time, knowing I'd be back and then how they handled themselves when I brought it back. I do actually like the owner Bill, his business is just not run real professionally. I understand the extra miles on the car that I mentioned before is from him taking it home for the night. Not sure if that's a common practice at shops but it would have been nice to know considering I was desperately trying to pick up the car like it was promised to me.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

Also thanks Damon, appreciate it sir. It's good to be good.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 AM

I get defensive pretty quick. BB427, If I took your statement out of context then I apologize. I thought that possibly I may have not been clear enough in my prior post. I'm not looking to start some Hank Jr. golf analogy thing here.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Overdrive Member

I can see him taking it home to make positive that the noise was gone. I have heard of that. Its his reputation after that. He was making sure all was good.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I try not to attack anyone anywhere. I know this is the internet, and some people think they can say whatever to anyone, just because they'll never see them, but that's not my M.O. Don't worry about it please, as I meant no disrespect to you in any way.
My remarks were in general, not directed towards you, or anyone in particular. Mostly pertaining to how mechanics should handle their project. I bet when that housing was tweaked beyond getting it perfect you told the customer about it. You didn't just give it back to him without explaining what you had to do to get it workable.
I haven't turned wrenches for a living in many years, but did do it for a living when I was young, and I know sometimes it's just tough to take something that messed up and make it work. We usually called the customer and explained the situation, then let them decide if they wanted us to do our best, or just toss the bad parts and start from scratch.

78_on_my_plate, I'm really happy for you! Glad this is behind you and you didn't just accept what they handed you! Hopefully the rest the project will go smoother than this first part did!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Vall, it was far too long of an ordeal but it's done. I hate being at the mercy of others when it comes to working on cars and this was a perfect example of why. A couple hour job turned into a several week drama-thon and it about drove me nuts! At least I'll have control over most of the work that gets done on the Camaro from here on. At the rate I'm going, I'll have the car done and on the road sometime just before/after interstellar space travel goes mainstream!

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?