Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Please don't get me wrong, I was only trying to solidify what I had just purchased is what I was expecting. It was presented as a 4:11 rear end out of a '72 Chevelle. I had just looked at the casting #'s and tried to confirm that way and got nowhere. I looked at the ring gear and it's a set of Richmond Gears that has a part #80-7053-1 but no # of teeth. So, ignorantly I went to the computer to try and find that part # on Richmond's website and it's not found. The only thing I was trying to do is make sure. There's nothing wrong with the rear end in the car now, except for the open 2.41's. This is where I wish my knowledge of the subject was better, hence my need for some guidance. I really want to educate myself as much as possible about this. If it would be easier to do what you're suggesting chvyguy, that would be perfect. This is why I enjoy reading these threads. I just want to get this done soon so I can drive the car before it gets taken off the road this year (which is about a month with the weather.)

No disrespect intended to Hotchkis, the conversation we were having was about replacing a broken rear swaybar. There must be some confusion about what is going where.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

"beating up on Hotchkis"?? Just pointing out that like any other member, he should look at all the replies prior to posting a reply. I know he wants to help, but should we just ignore the previous posts in the thread because he works for a sponsor?
I also understand he wants to help Hotchkis sell their wares, and that often explains his answer being slanted towards selling a product, but if it isn't relevant to the question, then why?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Hey, I'm not saying that was necessarily a bad thing. lol
Pointing out the "duh" obvious (the rearend in the pickup bed having coil and trailing bar mounts) was a moot point, as Hotchkis was talking about the rearend on the Camaro, not in the truck. At least, that's how he worded it. His point still made no sense to me though.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

Let's "switch gears" here for a second guys. There was a comment made about just changing things into the existing rear end being a better way to do this. I'm guessing Richmond gears didn't come from the factory so that puts that baby to bed on the subject of being changed around, I'll let that go. Should I be considering a "part swap"as opposed to a rear end swap?
You guys a too darn cool to be commenting on trivial things, for sure. I'm just looking for some help and guidance, not to ruffle any feathers please.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Please don't get me wrong, I was only trying to solidify what I had just purchased is what I was expecting. It was presented as a 4:11 rear end out of a '72 Chevelle. I had just looked at the casting #'s and tried to confirm that way and got nowhere. I looked at the ring gear and it's a set of Richmond Gears that has a part #80-7053-1 but no # of teeth. So, ignorantly I went to the computer to try and find that part # on Richmond's website and it's not found. The only thing I was trying to do is make sure. There's nothing wrong with the rear end in the car now, except for the open 2.41's. This is where I wish my knowledge of the subject was better, hence my need for some guidance. I really want to educate myself as much as possible about this. If it would be easier to do what you're suggesting chvyguy, that would be perfect. This is why I enjoy reading these threads. I just want to get this done soon so I can drive the car before it gets taken off the road this year (which is about a month with the weather.)
I googled the part # and found a post on the Chevelle site, a guy had the same gearset. Aparently, these are old and have been superseded. He called Richmond and they confirmed that they were 4.11's. I'd give Richmond a call. Swapping the internals would definitely work out and save money. I always double check the axle length and spline count, make certain that the Camaro axles fit in the Chevelle carrier. Just something I got in the habit of doing. All you need is the master overhaul kit. It comes with all the shims and seals for the gearset, you'll also need to get axle bearings and seals for it, they don't come in the kit.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

That's excellent, thank you sir! I did some counting myself as well, 37 ring gear teeth 9 pinion teeth = 4.11111. Twirl test was 4 and a tiny bit. I'd say they're 4:11's. Phew. I like the sound of what you're saying Chvyguy, I simply didn't know that you could do that with a posi rear end going into an open one, please excuse my ignorance. You still think it would be cheaper doing it that way? I would have to pay someone to do that work for me and that's where the cost would come into play. Couple hundred + for the rebuilt kit plus axle bearings and seals as well as labor to do all the work vs. paying someone to install perches and do the work myself? Do you know what I'd be looking at for labor (ballpark) to do the changing?

BB427, here's the pictures I was telling you about. You can kinda see where the other marks are above the spring perches. No longer an issue really, it just looks like there was other perches on there at some point as well.

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting help please?-sany0251.jpg   Troubleshooting help please?-sany0260.jpg   Troubleshooting help please?-sany0261.jpg  
Old 09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Cost is going to depend on the shops labor rate and what they charge for a transplant such as this. Also, some shops add more labor if you supply the parts. Either way you look at it, you're going to spend money. It is less labor to swap the guts than it is to set up and weld mounts and then install the housing. Keep in mind that as old as those gears seem to be, you more than likely need to replace the bearings anyway, 4.11's like to shred pinion bearings. You can save cash by removing the 4.11's yourself, the hard part being the pinion gear. Our shop rate here is $105/hr and we get about 5 hrs for a gear change, however, it can be done in about two. That's where you have to do your homework. It may be a break even deal, it depends on what you feel your time is worth to you. I, for one, prefer not to spend a weekend on my back changing perches and swapping axle housings. The faster I can get it done the more I can enjoy the car.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

It would certainly be a less risky route to take with the rebuild kit. Just knowing that everything is alright in there is a good idea for sure. Having had 5 back surgeries already, laying on the ground is not something I do easily. However, I would actually love the experience of doing it myself. Thanks for the advice, I know each shop is different on their rates but wasn't sure how long a job like that would take. Time is a factor here but cost is also.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

I did some calling this morning and was quoted between $250 -$400 to swap the guts into the housing in the Camaro. Just gotta order the parts (which both places were totally cool with!) I wish I knew how to remove the stuff myself but don't, it would save me about $75. Have an appt. made for end of the month and I am completely stoked! C'mon payday!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate

No disrespect intended to Hotchkis, the conversation we were having was about replacing a broken rear swaybar. There must be some confusion about what is going where.
78 On My Plate - No disrespect taken. We didn't go back 2 pages of forum posts. Along with the broken sway bar, we thought you may have found the rearend in your '78 Camaro may have come out of a Chevelle.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?