Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have the build sheet for the Camaro and it says the axle code is PJ - which is the 2.41 setup. Is there relevancy to the term "space saver -AJ BA MA?" That's in box 6 of the build sheet with the heading "Axle No." I assumed that was a reference to the spare tire which was also called a space saver. The only info I could find today (which I scoured the internet for hours) was that there was an 8.2" and 8.5" corporate as far as 10 bolts go. The original motor (which is still in it) is the 350 LM1 code and it's on the build sheet and in the VIN also. I would certainly not question the advice or guidance received from everyone, that's why I'm so confused and upset over this. I was told the Chevelle rear end does not have c clips. If there is a way to clarify this information from anywhwere, the appreciation would be imeasurable. Thanks in advance for the offer of help v8chvyguy.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

All 2nd gen Camaros are 8.5" 10 bolts, except the early 12 bolts. All 10 bolt Chev rearends, (even Chevelles) use C clips, unless they've been modified. Most 1st gen Camaros were 8.2" 10 bolts.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok. I was going to build the 10 bolt from hell out of the one in my 78 parts car. Its a Z its been in my possession or some one I know for the last 20 yrs. I will give you the housing if you want it. All I really want it the 3.42 ring and pinion. Its an open diff anyhow. Any way if you want it come get it. I'll load you up with some goodies too. Sway bars, steering box, ect. I'm going to junk the car next summer.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Doesn't he already have a complete housing in his Camaro, plus enough parts in the Chevelle rear to assemble into the Camaro housing???

Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

77Nomad, thank you. I would get in the truck and drive there right this second if I was certain that yours would correct my issues. I want to take the Camaro to someone else and have it looked at. Probably a stupid question but at this point, I don't assume anything. Is there any way to tell why/why not the parts are interchangeable without taking the cover off of the Camaro housing? I just had to pay $50 for someone to tell me that can't do anything with these and I can't keep doing that if I'm gonna be told the same thing again. For the life of me, I just can't understand why this has turned into the complete ordeal that it has. Several statements again when I tried to clarify with the mechanic. 1. It's a totally different cover, c clip in Camaro and press fit on rear end I bought, pinion gear is shorter, ring gear is thicker, different manufacturer of the two rearends "totally different animal." So, what I understand from this guy is that if the axles are c-clip, the stuff in the Chevelle rearend wont work because those are press fit?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just called the other garage that I was comparing before taking the car in to be done and was just told that Bill from the garage I took the car to called him to discuss the setup and ironically, this guy had actually went over and looked at the rear end in the Camaro. Same thing, "you can tell by the cover" "you've got a 1 in 500 made rear end in your car now." So, Nomad, if the offer is out there, when is a good time sir?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm a bit puzzled and wonder about both of these shops. There were no Chevy passenger cars with press in axles after 1964. They all used C clips, regardless of the size of the rearend, 10 bolt or 12 bolt. These guys are nuts if they tell you it's a press fit bearing.
I'm also somewhat puzzled by their calling a GM rearend a 8.375", as I've never heard of any GM using that size. Chrysler used a 8.375/8.25" rear that shared a common ring gear, but Chevy had 8.2" and 8.5", not 8.375"; at least none I've ever heard of.
And to say the carrier ears from the Chevelle would hit the floor is absolutelyy stupid. I suppose they don't ownm a sawzall to chop the offending ears off the rearend? I'm using a Chevelle rearned in my Austin, and took about 5 min. to cut them off.
This mine with ears removed:
Name:  aus190.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  102.6 KB

Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm not doubting what you're saying one bit BB427. I want you all to be right so bad!! The guy at the shop pointed to where the press in bearings were in the Chevelle rear end. I just don't get this 1 in 500....or a million...or whatever it is theyre saying is stuck up under the Camaro right now. The comment made was "It might even be a 8 3/8 I'm not sure" not specifically that's what it was. But when he's saying it's two different manufacturers of the rearends, the one from the Chevelle has the two indents on the cover and mine doesn't. I put pictures up of the rear end in the Camaro, that cover doesn't look circular to me, they say I need the oval cover. When I spoke of the two squared off ears on the bottom of the housing I was told "that doesn't mean it's an 8.5" and never been how I would determine that in all my years doing this." I don't want to give up on this but I'm not really excited about beating a dead horse either.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Anyone want to call the shop? They're probably gonna get a restraining order on me if I keep it up! Dinner's on me if anyone can make sense out of this guy. I'm going to call the other guy back tomorrow and talk to him about the Chevelle housing "fitting" under there. There was also a comment made about still not fitting even if the ears were cut off. This crap makes me feel like the most ignorant person alive and it's getting old real fast.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 09-22-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Here's what I can clarify, in '74-'75 GM introduced the 8.5 10 bolt. by '78 that was the only 10 bolt that was used in the Camaro. They never made a 8.375. What is going on here is the chevelle rear end is an 8.2 and not worth putting into the car. That needs to be reassembled and sold off. I failed you on that, I missed the fact that you mentioned it was from a '72. GM did not offer the 8.5 then and nothing interchanges between the two. You were given sound advise which would have worked if they were both 8.5's, my apologies. That said, I've done countless rebuilds and have three Camaro diffs sitting in my driveway all 8.5's, if the one in your car is not an 8.5 I'll eat my hat. Now, I may possibly have a set of 3.73's from my Z28, if they are still good. I have no plans for them. You can PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?