Troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope he has the mechanic who screwed it up looking over his shoulder so he can learn something too!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree! I hate to speculate but I'd have to say there's a fair amount of pride and ego involved here. It's ironic that the only one who gave me a hard time about this was the mechanic that did the install. I was left stuck dealing with him originally as he was the guy that "knew about the job." Didn't get a call from the shop today so I excpect to have it back tomorrow. Gonna be a long night....again.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Guys who do it all the time make it look so easy,
True, but, we also have our days. Once in a while you come across one that cannot be properly patterned. I've had one in the last seven years, a Dana 60 with a twisted casting.

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
Good one '69. The puns for this whole deal could be endless...
The car is at the shop and the owner is "playin' with the shims trying to get it off the toe a little bit."
He must have had some pretty bad toe contact for it to be making the noises you described. I hope the owner knows more than his mechanic. Were you able to take a look for yourself?

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
I agree! I hate to speculate but I'd have to say there's a fair amount of pride and ego involved here. It's ironic that the only one who gave me a hard time about this was the mechanic that did the install. I was left stuck dealing with him originally as he was the guy that "knew about the job." Didn't get a call from the shop today so I excpect to have it back tomorrow. Gonna be a long night....again.
For sure, having your work boomerang on you is a real shot to your pride. It doesn't do much for the shop reputation either. It's never good when you have the customer and the boss come down on you, then, to have the boss have to fix it for you, not good. Hope they get it right for you this time.

Last edited by v8chvyguy; 10-11-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Doggone that's n than's
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

I had to drop the car off late at night (only way to get a ride home) so I was not able to look when the cover came off. I asked them to not put the cover back on until I got there to take a look and have the issues explained to me. I am going to get ahold of them soon as it should be done today. Does "off the toe" refer to the pinion gear v8chvyguy?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Overdrive Member

I beleive, and might be wrong. That the toe is the tip of the tooth on the ring gear. Simply the pattern was showing that the tip of the tooth was getting the contact instead of the center. I'm sure V8chvyguy can enlighten both of us. I have't done rear end work really. I can pull them apart and put them back together but haven't got into building one.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by v8chvyguy
True, but, we also have our days. Once in a while you come across one that cannot be properly patterned. I've had one in the last seven years, a Dana 60 with a twisted casting.

True, but the difference is what you did with it. If you send it out the door knowing it's not right, then you've made a mistake. If you yell for help and fix the issue before giving it to the customer, then you're a good mechanic.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Day 2 at the shop and still no Camaro. So, 3 days to fix their mistakes. I can tell how I rate on the "priority" list since this time the work is on them. I really really hate these guys now!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Overdrive Member

Chitty!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Camaro is done! I haven't driven it yet, on my way to town now to get it. The shims had to be adjust by .009 (thousandths) isn't that a lot? The owner states the pattern is perfect now and I shouldn't have any more problems. Man I hope he's right.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Good news, well it should be a nice little Friday.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting help please?