Stuck... again..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Stuck... again..

Well after my little incident with an ******* kid who tried to sell me the most beat down Camaro in the world for WAY too much my budget was dropped about 2100 or so... NOW, I was just wondering what you all think of this Camaro: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/369005224.html? Whats good about the 305 compared to the 350? They say they have 350 parts on the 305... wtf? How does that work.. and how about gas mileage? Any better with the 305 VS the 350? Basically im goin for looks and this one looks bad ***. Im stuck between a 2nd gen and a 4th gen (mainly for insurance and gas prices) but i cant find any Z28 4ths in OK driving condition for my price. Im not really looking for power because the more power the more insurance will cost... Im looking for a street rod.. a daily driver that consists of maybe 10-20 miles a day during the summer and like maybe 50 tops a day during the school year (i live right next to my school).

Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Stuck... again..

305's suck low power out put it'd be obout the same asa mustang 3.8 lol.....just alot more tourqe. so id look fora 350.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Even with the parts listed in the ad? it says 350 parts including high performance hose everything nearly brand new, alternator, radiator, fan, wires, hose, k n filter reusable, elderbrock manifold, holley carb, hurst shift kit(slap shift). Like I said im not looking for a powerful track runner just yet in my life. Im looking for a bad *** cruiser, Id like more of a show car style before i get into the expensive business of racing components and such. Hows it sound with the right exhaust and cam etc.? I just want american muscle look sound and feel but id like to keep the price in a position where ive got some room to work.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Camaro Performers magazine just did an article on a 305 build. The issue was May, 2007 on page 82. They ended up getting 372 HP and 350 torque with a 268 cam, some heads, headers, carb and intake. Better than I thought it would be. Might be worth looking into.[&:]

Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Droid

Be careful if they put stock 350 heads on the 305. The idea may sounds good, but the swap will lower the compression ratio,resulting in aloss of power and economy.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

what is the story with the other camaro? how did it lower ur money

Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Kid told me the car was cherry, I got there it was more like rotten apple... Wholes in the body, dings etc.. after i had asked him repeatedly if there was ANY damage and he said only a small spot (turn out to be a silver dollar sized 1/2 inch deep chunk missing.) He said he had just had the brakes replaced (which in reality he just had the front pads replaced) engine sounded fine, looked clean.. idiot put on a filter that was too high and it left a bulge in the middle of the hood when he closed it.. Doors were like reverse lambo.. they sunk about an inch and had to be lifted to be closed (after i asked him how the doors were, and he replied they just needed new pins..) Then he lets me take it for a test drive, he gets in the back seat my dad in the passanger and i in the driver, i look around, headliner is gone which wasnt mentioned, carpet looks like death seats had gashes in them, which i knew. The shifter lights didnt turn on, dash light was suck on dim. so i manage to shut the door when he tells me it doesnt have power brakes... and ive driven several cars with out power brakes... not hard to stop but not as easy as my Mustang for example. So i figure ive got to put them alil to get the juices flowing... i take off and we drive around, the home installed tint was hard to see out of and had air bubbles. we drive on and i had struggled with the brakes but had gotten a handle on them. (oh yeah and the seat was stuck so it wouldnt adjust any closer to the wheel.. and im not that tall.. not short but not tall.. so the pedals were just far enough away where i couldnt put them all the way down without stretching alil) We get to a point where we need to turn around, so i pull up this small hilly parking area, and i put it in reverse. I begin backing... i start to give the brake little pumps.. but im not slowing down.. instead im slowly gaining speed... so i pump harder... nothing happens.. didnt slow down at all.. UNTIL i hit a camry... we got out looked at the camaro (which was fine btw.. you couldnt tell what damage had just occured and what had been there).. the camry needed a new rear quarter panel and bumper etc. My dad left his info and i jump in the back the kid jumps in the driver seat and we leave.. He desides to demonstrate the brakes by slamming on them.. even then it didnt stop as it should have... but he claimed they worked fine.. we get back to his apartment.. after a short ride of him saying how much hed apriciate it if we bought his car after what had happened.. so we get out, check out the back.. he shows me the home installed particle board boxed subwoofers which just floated around the trunk... no straps.. and werent connected properly... My dad said we have a (imaginary) other car to look at, gave him 200 of my hard earned dollars for a inch of apparent damage that i couldnt ever find.. (we paid200 dollars for atest drive). Come to find the Camry will cost 1900, which i was willing to pay out of pocket, but by law liablility follows the car so his insurance agency would have to pay me back. When i present this info to him he gets mouthy with me. After i accused him of trying to sell a 1000 dollar car to me for 3500 he told me he didnt have insurance on the car, and to "pound sand" and not to call him again... So thats how i got screwed out of 2100. I tried to call him back but he never answered, and he probably makes less money than i do so i couldnt get a cent from him if i brought him to small claims... I am no noob to nonpowered brakes.. but there was something wrong with his lines.. they obviously needed to be bled if you have to slam on the brakes to get em to work...

All that aside, ive got my eye on a 1976 and a 1975 both i believe have the LT trim, both with 350s and small things like, shift kits and rebuilt carbs, stuff like that. My goal is to kinda make a Transformer "Bumblebee" clone... atleast with the paint scheme.. other than that id like it to look nice... Can anyone give m

Old 07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
4th Gear Member
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

The 2nd gens seem to be coming around on price a bit so now might not be a bad time to get one. 350 parts on a 305 doesnt make alot of sense manifold no big deal heads as pete said can be a big deal also if it gets more extensive the stroke may be the same but they are balanced differently alot of stuf shouldnt be interchanged. That being said I would not be afraid of a stock or close to stock 305 for cruising purposes the only problem I know the had in that era was soft camshafts in some. For a cruising v8 the 305 is a very good engine we have one in a truck that has 240000 miles on it that has never been apart we tow the 79 to the strip with it. I just dont believe they are a good engine to spend alot of money on performance wise. Your story of the clapped out Camaro reminds me of one my dad and I looked at it was a 3rd gen anneversary edition I could tell it was beat from the start the guy asked if we wanted to take it for a test drive I told him we would go but for him to drive, I noticed he had a line lock button in the car I mentioned it the guy said ya it was stopped in the middle of the street and demonstrated it keep it mind my 64 year old dad is in the front seat he drag raced for years so it really didnt rattle him at all untill we went down a side street at about 100 mph drifted sideways in a parking lot and proceeded to do smokey doughnuts man what a salesman, I was laughing my *** off in the back seat dad got pissed off and proceeded with the safety riot act /sermon till we got back to our car... we didnt buy it..

Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Yeah... lol... i was driving the beater slowly as to not hint my dad off that it had any power... if it even did... But reguardless, what do you guys thinkg about those cars, the one with the vinyl top is kept beautifully with no rust or body damage, and the interior looks original and clean cut plus its closer and only 1800.

Quick Reply: Stuck... again..