Rear End overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you have the clutch style posi unit, I'd change the oil back to conventional (non-synthetic), and be sure to use the limited slip additive. Although I like to use synthetic in most everything, a slipperier based oil in a clutch setup is the last thing I'd use.
Uhh, that's what the modifier dose, changing the friction and flow characteristics of the 90w to keep the friction discs cleaned and lubed. I've seen a lot of synth use and never any damage related to it's use. Some synth dose not have the LS additive you have to watch for that.

Not to mention, some manufacturers do recommend you not use synthetic oil.
This is the first I've heard of this. Can you tell me which ones and when? GM has recommended it's use in G80 truck axles for years, FoMoCo offers a synth 75w140 for their axles And Chrysler also supports it's use.

Are your clutches slipping and causing the oil to froth up perhaps?
The oil will foam regardless It has a high detergent content and is being agitated at high speeds pumping air into the oil creating foam. Slipping clutches allows you to turn with ease not foam the oil, most of the vehicles direction of travel is straight where the LS is not as active.

Or, is the synthetic oil they used compatible, or not, with the LSD additive?
Some synth oils have the additive in it, some don't. the additive is compatible with synth oils.

Simple chain of events; it didn't burp out the oil before, you had the oil changed to synthetic, and now it does.
Since 78 said "in the past 7 days I lost 3 quarts", I figured he was topping it back up after each time the rearend was burping oil out. That would be a common sense follow-up.
And how in the heck do you overfill a rearend by 3 quarts anyway, when 2.5 quarts puts the level above center?
Well, he did not say he was topping it off nor did he state whether he measured the oil he lost. He would not have been able to collect it all and measure it, third rule of mechanics "a little oil goes a long way". So, don't worry about the 3qts thing. It is possible to overfill a diff if you're using a pneumatic pump. Iffy lube sucks them out and pumps them full, at least around here.

Last edited by 350v8; 10-15-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I don't want to delete it.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have the clutch style posi unit...Are your clutches slipping and causing the oil to froth up perhaps?
The posi unit is a Eaton LSD and from the website it says its a clutch style...so you're probably right! So what kind of oil should I put in the rear end?

Originally Posted by 350v8
This is a joke right?
Nope. I might have used a "jk" and "lol" at the end if I was . I'm no car expert, which is why I came to the forum looking for incredible answers from you guys

That's not a release valve, it's a vent tube with a cap.
Thanks for clearing things up for me. So, does it always stay open? Because that's where the oil is coming out from.

10 bolt's only hold at most about 5 pints or 2.5 qts. you lost about 3qts?
Oh it does? Well then, so I probably lost about 2 qts

If it were overheating, you would have smoke, bad smell, some noise, and possibly internal damage.
Good to know. It hasn't done any of that...yet.

So it looks like all I have to do to fix this little problem is change the type of oil? Any oil recommendations? Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"Iffy Lube"....heh heh heh!
But still, if you were seeing an amountable oil loss every day for 7 days, wouldn't you check the level? I would. He was painting a picture of an eruption, not a dribble. Ok, I guess we can't presume the guy was immediately following up on an obvious problem. Let her go dry, then it won't leak!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Man, I'm getting quote overload! Just use conventional, non-synthetic gear oil, with the LSD additive. Yes, that vent stays open, it's supposed to be able to breathe to compensate for internal heat expansion.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:01 PM

I gotchya, I would also check the level, if I felt the fluid loss was sufficient enough to be a concern.

Sorry bout the joke thing, I was not sure how to take this thread, since it leaned more towards the qwick-to-crew-you lube places bad rep.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Off the subject, 78 those seats look pretty comfortable, where did you get them?

Old 10-15-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Camaro and 350 thanks for your help . Looks like I'm going to have to drain my rear this weekend. Yay me!

I purchased the seats off a website called Hyperformance. The seats are super comfy. However, the seat bracket for the sliders didnt line up with the camaro configuration so my dad and I had to make a custom adapter...which was a B$!&% to do.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is the first I've heard of this. Can you tell me which ones and when? GM has recommended it's use in G80 truck axles for years, FoMoCo offers a synth 75w140 for their axles And Chrysler also supports it's use.
Eaton (what 78 has) says to use conventional non-synthetic oil. So does Auburn: FAQ « Moser Engineering