Rear End overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear End overheating?

So it seems there is a heat release valve on top of my stock 8.5" 10 bolt housing that is stuck open. After driving the Camaro, then parking, differential fluid slowly spills out from this valve. In the past 7 days I lost 3 quarts....

Jiffy lube used their synthetic blend that's suppose to be for posi rear ends.
Does anyone know why this is happening now after a rear end oil change? What's causing it to overheat? Is the valve broken?

Any answers/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you have the clutch style posi unit, I'd change the oil back to conventional (non-synthetic), and be sure to use the limited slip additive. Although I like to use synthetic in most everything, a slipperier based oil in a clutch setup is the last thing I'd use. Not to mention, some manufacturers do recommend you not use synthetic oil. Are your clutches slipping and causing the oil to froth up perhaps? Or, is the synthetic oil they used compatible, or not, with the LSD additive?
Simple chain of events; it didn't burp out the oil before, you had the oil changed to synthetic, and now it does. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what to try next!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Friggin Jiffy Lube! Last week they worked at the computer store, or the car wash. This week they're doing lube/oil/filters on your car. All they really know is sell up, and try to convince the customer he needs something else changed on his car.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

BB427....

Amen to that.No performance car should ever see the sites of Jiffy lube.

Oh wait, not even my Ford F150 would see Jiffy Lube.....

Sure way to fry some parts....They lube you in a jiffy , alright.....

Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bucketlist2011
BB427....

Amen to that.No performance car should ever see the sites of Jiffy lube.

Oh wait, not even my Ford F150 would see Jiffy Lube.....

Sure way to fry some parts....They lube you in a jiffy , alright.....
And they're NOT cheaper than the dealerships either! I'd rather have Walmart's people change my oil and filter than Jiffy Lube!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Overdrive Member

LOL I was in line at Walmart with the womans car a year or two ago. I was next in line and watched those guys start a Subaru WRX without refilling the oil. I watched the havoc unfold and then they pushed it outside with the hood up. Someone comes to my window and says your next. I said F you you guys just blew up someones baby and whipped a u-turn.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

No doubt....At least at the dealer, you get someone who has seen the truck or car before.

Dealers may suck,but they are held to a higher standard.

Nothing against any body that has to work at one of those jiffy oil type places...I am a nobody...But ,it is not the place to take your precious property...

And my Z/28 ??? Ha ha....It won't ever see any lube place but my garage.....i may not work on the suspension or rear end anymore, but basic stuff...still can and will.

Can you imagine thumping up to the jiffy lube place with the Camaro ???

They would be fighting over which guy gets to screw up the car first.....

Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 AM

This is a joke right? That's not a release valve, it's a vent tube with a cap. 10 bolt's only hold at most about 5 pints or 2.5 qts. you lost about 3qts? That's 6 pints, the diff is overfilled. It is not possible to pump out the entire contents of the axle via the vent tube. If it were overheating, you would have smoke, bad smell, some noise, and possibly internal damage.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
LOL I was in line at Walmart with the womans car a year or two ago. I was next in line and watched those guys start a Subaru WRX without refilling the oil. I watched the havoc unfold and then they pushed it outside with the hood up. Someone comes to my window and says your next. I said F you you guys just blew up someones baby and whipped a u-turn.
Well I wouldn't take mine to either place. I still do all that stuff at home, and it's not cheaper, just safer!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 350v8
This is a joke right? That's not a release valve, it's a vent tube with a cap. 10 bolt's only hold at most about 5 pints or 2.5 qts. you lost about 3qts? That's 6 pints, the diff is overfilled. It is not possible to pump out the entire contents of the axle via the vent tube. If it were overheating, you would have smoke, bad smell, some noise, and possibly internal damage.
Since 78 said "in the past 7 days I lost 3 quarts", I figured he was topping it back up after each time the rearend was burping oil out. That would be a common sense follow-up.
And how in the heck do you overfill a rearend by 3 quarts anyway, when 2.5 quarts puts the level above center?

Quick Reply: Rear End overheating?