Project Revision

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
Hey Ross, Glad to see your back on track, sweet deal on that 79 but i would keep both man. Once your done of one you still have your hobby. i never see 74-77's around me EVER, even though the rubber bumpers are nice i just cant bare to see it unless it really is scrap lol. but im sure you would get enough for the parts to help out on the new project, take the parts off, clean em up and maybe post some trade ads? some times good used fenders go for like $400 ea. but good luck with the new venture, can't wait to see some pics of the new addition.... the car lol, but if ya want to post one of the other new addition feel free lol.

joe

To the OP that 79 looks like a decent project cant wait to see more pics.

You know Joe that is surprising that good used fenders would be worth $400 each, i honestly think thats really high. Considering my dad couldnt sell our 81 Camaro with 2 perfect used fenders and brand new trunk lid from goodmark and brand new tail panel from goodmark, and a bunch of other good parts to go with it, and he was trying to sell the car with all the parts to go with it for $375 and he couldnt even get that out of it, he had a bunch of people interested but they kept wanting my dad to lower the price.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Stock shock plates are staggered one front, one back. Aftermarket plates are both the same direction, and you can make them both front, or both back. I've also seen guys cut the shock mount off one plate and weld it back on to make them both on the same side of the axle.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 81Camarosport
To the OP that 79 looks like a decent project cant wait to see more pics.

You know Joe that is surprising that good used fenders would be worth $400 each, i honestly think thats really high. Considering my dad couldnt sell our 81 Camaro with 2 perfect used fenders and brand new trunk lid from goodmark and brand new tail panel from goodmark, and a bunch of other good parts to go with it, and he was trying to sell the car with all the parts to go with it for $375 and he couldnt even get that out of it, he had a bunch of people interested but they kept wanting my dad to lower the price.
He coulda got rid of it for way more than that around here, you would be suprised what people would pay.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 80ZJoe
He coulda got rid of it for way more than that around here, you would be suprised what people would pay.

Ahh, i know he had it listed both on craigslist and on nastyz28 for $375 and he got no bites.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 81Camarosport
Ahh, i know he had it listed both on craigslist and on nastyz28 for $375 and he got no bites.
I got no $$$ bites but traded it for a gas powered IR air compressor worth about 3 X what I was asking.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally, some time to work on the camaro. Started putting the motor together, and realized that in the last 5 or 6 months that I'm missing some little stuff. Go figure.

Does anyone know what size bolt goes into the crank to hold the Harmonic Balancer snug? I tried all of the miscelaneous bolts I had around with no luck. Hopefully Advance has them in the HELP! section.

I took some vacation time, so hopefully by Sunday, I'll have the motor together, mated to trans with the rear end bolted down and mabye get it running...All those things are partially accomplished, I just have to finish up the work I started several months ago, which is becoming increasingly more dificult to do when my **** has been scattered by wife and daughter.

sorry for the long run-on senten ce

Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I know for sure it's a fine thread, but can't remember if it's 1/2" fine or 7/16" fine.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Overdrive Member

7/16. Advance should have one in the performance section. Probably a Mr Gasket.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Well,
Now my friggin haynes manual is missing. Can anyone tell me what the torque specs on my crank (both rods and main bearings?).
Also, a couple of the end caps on my rods will not go on, is there a specific side of the rod which should point to the front of the motor? I feel like an idiot asking (and yes, feel free to say "what an idiot"), but it's been 20 yrs+ since I built a motor, and (again) I cant find my haynes manual. Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes there are little tabs on the caps. I think it will go on either way but the wrong way will get nasty rolling the motor over. You'll notice that one side of the rod is different too. Right around the big end its flatter on one side. These two sides ride against each other. This is not the best description of what I mean, but if you examine the rods near the big end/ cap you'll see what I'm talking about.I think the tabs point away from each other. Its been a minute since I had a stock bottom end apart. I can't tell the specs off the top of my head sorry.

Quick Reply: Project Revision