post pictures of your 2nd gen rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear member

My 78 Z28, first day at the track.
Still have a lot to do. Was just getting a few baseline numbers.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

G- french???? I know this thread has gotten a little off topic a couple of times...but I want to comment and ask a question on your track day...Well..that's a great pic!! I just love the car filling up with smoke!!! Were you timed?? What was it? I took my boy to the track too a couple weeks ago..I put some new 202 fuelie heads on and wanted to try em out.I am going to try to upload a vid here.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

hey gfrench, i have the same hood add on except mines facing the other way...

definately looked at ktm's pic, whoops

Last edited by Rizzo408; 06-11-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: oops
Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear member

15.7 @ 90 mph, 6200 RPM in second gear.
Was just running baseline times to see what gears I need.
Will be a lot faster in a few weeks.

Stock hood, for that year. I cut it to force air into the carb

Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by gfrench
15.7 @ 90 mph, 6200 RPM in second gear.
Was just running baseline times to see what gears I need.
Will be a lot faster in a few weeks.

Stock hood, for that year. I cut it to force air into the carb
Is that for the 1/4 mile? gfrench?

I ran a 10.3 in the 1/8th, my vid came out looking like a pic,but can still click on it and watch..H'e's pretty loud too!

I was thinking about replacing the 2 bbl with a 4 bbl..

I have an Edelbrock performer intake waiting for it already,currently looking for a carb. Will that make much difference in times?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Tommy13
Is that for the 1/4 mile? gfrench?

I ran a 10.3 in the 1/8th, my vid came out looking like a pic,but can still click on it and watch..H'e's pretty loud too!

I was thinking about replacing the 2 bbl with a 4 bbl..

I have an Edelbrock performer intake waiting for it already,currently looking for a carb. Will that make much difference in times?
yes, I also ran a 10.3 in the 1/8.
Hmm. I dont have your heads.
But I do have a 750 Double and an Airgap intake.

My problem is gears. Think I have 3.o8 like I said I was in second gear when I crossed the line. I don't even have posi which is strange for a z.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by gfrench
yes, I also ran a 10.3 in the 1/8.
Hmm. I dont have your heads.
But I do have a 750 Double and an Airgap intake.

My problem is gears. Think I have 3.o8 like I said I was in second gear when I crossed the line. I don't even have posi which is strange for a z.
I don't have a posi either..
I have also thought about converting it to standard and getting a different backend too.I didn't want to go crazy building him up for racing.The heads I got on trade.I have other cars and a family,and sure everyone knows how that goes.I had him for 8 years and he's come along way in the past 4. I wanted a show car to cruise in too..He gets 17mpg and think the 2bbl contributes to that.If I put that 4 on,i'm not guaranteed to get under 10 sec,and with the speedway over an hour away,my gas mileage would be terrible.I think like you said in another thread that reaction time may of compromised a couple of tenths of a second.I'm going to try a few more times as he is,and see what happens.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear member

under 10 in 1/8? that 3 tenths.

You could do that with a carb and intake. You will see a difference. However , your gas will drop a lot. I think I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I dont have a gas gauge or odometer at the moment so that is a big guess. Might get as high as 12 if I drive very nicely. I couldnt care less about gass mileage, have a street bike for that.

My car is for racing, I have a trailer to get to the track if needed. Although, I have been driving it about 50 miles.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Tommy13
I don't have a posi either..
I have also thought about converting it to standard and getting a different backend too.I didn't want to go crazy building him up for racing.The heads I got on trade.I have other cars and a family,and sure everyone knows how that goes.I had him for 8 years and he's come along way in the past 4. I wanted a show car to cruise in too..He gets 17mpg and think the 2bbl contributes to that.If I put that 4 on,i'm not guaranteed to get under 10 sec,and with the speedway over an hour away,my gas mileage would be terrible.I think like you said in another thread that reaction time may of compromised a couple of tenths of a second.I'm going to try a few more times as he is,and see what happens.
If you go with a spreadbore pattern 4 barrel you should be able to get equal or better mileage over the stock 2 barrel. The primaries on a spreadbore are smaller than your present 2 barrel, and even on the freeway you wont be into the secondaries at cruising speed.
Of course your mileage when you're racing or putting it to the floor accelerating will drop significantly, but if you watch your right foot the rest the time you'll get great mileage.

Quick Reply: post pictures of your 2nd gen rides