New throttle cable.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default New throttle cable.

Got one more item off my Camaro's "to do list" today. Installed a Lokar universal throttle cable kit and mounting bracket. My old original was hanging by one thread of the cable, and way out of adjustment. So much slop in the worn out cable that it stretched when you hit the pedal to the floor. It was getting about 3/4 throttle, and felt soft too.
The Lokar is a nice kit, and easier to install than the factory was to gewt out, plus really deluxe by comparison. It comes with two nuts to sandwich the firewall, and three on the carb bracket end to adjust the freeplay at the carb. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. to remove the old and get the new installed and trimmed.
I bought a 2 ft. system, and cut almost a ft. off it to get it short enough. I never realised how short the throttle cable was on my Camaro, but I figured a 2 ft. would be enough, and it was plenty. They're easy to cut to length, but need to cut them cleanly, as the spiral wrap inside the outter sheath can crimp down when you cut it, and that will rub on the inside cable, causing friction and abrasion.
Feels like I gained another 25 hp now that I've got full throttle!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Amazing how something so small can make such a huge difference!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, especially if you don't realise how bad it is! Had I not been crawling all over the car for the last 6 months, I probably would never have seen it falling apart. You'd think they'd make them last more than 39 years!

I've still got a list of about a dozen little things (and one big thing!) that I need to do, but glad this one is out of the way!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Yea, especially if you don't realise how bad it is! Had I not been crawling all over the car for the last 6 months, I probably would never have seen it falling apart. You'd think they'd make them last more than 39 years!

I've still got a list of about a dozen little things (and one big thing!) that I need to do, but glad this one is out of the way!
haha yeah. what were they thinking...?

What else you have on your list?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the big item is the bushings for front and rear suspension. The rest are relatively easy.
Then there's the brackets for the alternator and power steering, new power steering hoses, new pulley system and belts, (need to convert to long pump at the same time) remove my present traction bars and reinstall the Comp Eng. ladder bars, finish the interior door panels, relocate front speakers and build mounts for them, get my SS grille insignia back on, remove rollbar and install the headliner, reinstall the rollbar afterwards.
I'm sure I''ll think of more as I climb around the car more. Seems I can't do anything on it without seeing something else to address.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Well the big item is the bushings for front and rear suspension. The rest are relatively easy.
Then there's the brackets for the alternator and power steering, new power steering hoses, new pulley system and belts, (need to convert to long pump at the same time) remove my present traction bars and reinstall the Comp Eng. ladder bars, finish the interior door panels, relocate front speakers and build mounts for them, get my SS grille insignia back on, remove rollbar and install the headliner, reinstall the rollbar afterwards.
I'm sure I''ll think of more as I climb around the car more. Seems I can't do anything on it without seeing something else to address.
ah, well at least you're down to some of the smaller things...By smaller I mean nothing terribly critical to you not being able to drive the car or horribly expensive lol. And yeah, that's pretty much always how it goes...you'll continue to find little things you dont like or will want to change. But at least you've got your car running and painted! I cant wait to even be that far!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

[QUOTEremove rollbar and install the headliner][/QUOTE]

I didn't have to remove my rollbar to put in my headliner. Bow and clip type right?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the expense part is over, as all the items listed are sitting in boxes in the garage. It's just tough to start some of the bigger items, as every time I pull it out I want to go for a little drive first. That usually ends up lasting a few hours, and then I've shot the day for anything big.
I just need to run it out to my friend's shop and leave it there, so I can get it completely done before the good weather hits this spring!