New paint ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New paint ideas?

So when winter comes around im putting the 80z in the school's autoshop and do all the body work and then paint it. im probably gonna mold my spoiler and wheel flairs to the body but what i was wondering is how i should paint it. I dont want it to be just a normal, 1980 z28 paint job. i want something different, something that stands out. I have the stock z28 cowl induction hood with the vents up by the windshield and T-tops. i kinda wanted to put some dual stripes on the hood and trunk but idk how good that would look with that hood. im open to any ideas, i might even get a new hood if it makes it look better. i would prefer the car color to be gloss black with blood red stripes or gloss black with a darker-greyish black but im also fond of a deep royal/cobalt blue. If you have any thoughts on how i should paint it, just say so. nothing is impossible but nothing like chamelion colors or some rediculiously expensive stuff. i want it to be unique, just not too different that its stupid. I will consider any suggestions on color and scheme. thanks. oh and pictures would be awesome if you can!
Thanks guys

Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear member

If you can get the body and any bodywork nice and perfect with no ripples or waves,then black looks very good on these cars,just remember with any dark color especially black any and every flaw in the body work will stand out like a sore thumb.My car is dark royal blue and whoever did the bodywork did not do a great job and you can see just about every spot that has had anything done to it.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's no problem getting the body work done right, we have six people doing if for all of winter. I just need paint ideas

Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I like your idea of not going too weird. Stuff like geometric stripes, or crazy colors really date a car, and look terrible down the road later. I personally like the factory SS stripes used on the earlier 2nd gen Camaros, and they would look good even on the later. You could run the stripes down the Z hood piece, or do the stripes with it off and paint the hood piece to match and bolt it back on. Might even run the stripes with a border of 1/2" around the piece and leave the center piece body color. Lots of options.
As for color, whatever you choose you can find something siliar to the 80 colors, but in a later paint with a bit more pearl/metallic in it. The newer colors wont be a radical change, but they will pop under sunlight or night lighting. I did mine in GM Stealth Gray, with black SS stripes, but the gray is a graphite pearl, and the stripes are black saphire. Looks all black at night, but when the lights or sunlight hits it the pearl makes it pop and the stripes really sparkle.
If you want the stripes to relly stand out, then red, white or silver on a dark car will certainly do that. I wanted the stripes to be almost ghost stripes, so I went with less contrast.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I like your idea of not going too weird. Stuff like geometric stripes, or crazy colors really date a car, and look terrible down the road later. I personally like the factory SS stripes used on the earlier 2nd gen Camaros, and they would look good even on the later. You could run the stripes down the Z hood piece, or do the stripes with it off and paint the hood piece to match and bolt it back on. Might even run the stripes with a border of 1/2" around the piece and leave the center piece body color. Lots of options.
As for color, whatever you choose you can find something siliar to the 80 colors, but in a later paint with a bit more pearl/metallic in it. The newer colors wont be a radical change, but they will pop under sunlight or night lighting. I did mine in GM Stealth Gray, with black SS stripes, but the gray is a graphite pearl, and the stripes are black saphire. Looks all black at night, but when the lights or sunlight hits it the pearl makes it pop and the stripes really sparkle.
If you want the stripes to relly stand out, then red, white or silver on a dark car will certainly do that. I wanted the stripes to be almost ghost stripes, so I went with less contrast.
Wow that sounds amazing, and I would love to see a picture of us if I could!! I'm thinking of putting a L88 hood on it and doing dual racing stripes with that

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by petes67bird
Quick question. I remember seeing old Chevelles with paint that had really large flakes in the paint, almost half a dime or dime sized. When I go to paint shops the never have the paint I recall seeing. Is my memory that bad or was there actual paint like I remember?
I've never seen paint jobs with flakes that large Pete. I've seen pretty large flakes, but nevr even 1/4" flakes. Flakes don't come mixed into the paint when they get too large, as the gun will clog and if the tip was large enough for the flakes, then the paint wont spray properly.
Flakes are sprayed over a base coat and then either oversprayed with semi transparent color, or cleared. It's a 3-4 step process to get the surface smooth and get the flakes and color to come out with large flakes.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by manslaughter299
Wow that sounds amazing, and I would love to see a picture of us if I could!! I'm thinking of putting a L88 hood on it and doing dual racing stripes with that
There are pictures in my build thread, but it's impossible for me to get pictures that really reflect how the pearls and metallics in the paint react in the sunlight. Really have to see it to see how it looks.
But here's the project link to see how the stripes are laid out:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81...project-62101/

Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WOW! Great thread BB! That gets probably everyone who reads it motivation to do what you did!