New Member, new Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Best of luck to you, Curtis on the restoration.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

What u gonna do with the tranny?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Curtis
its a 1959 GMC wildside it has the original 270 i6 and 4 speed on the floor. Plans are for now to put a LS1 and 4L60E auto swap. but this is one is gonna be a full on restore. Everything is there the PO was working on it but his wife needs the garage back. so he is boxing it all up and ill be towing it home in a week. If you all want ill keep you updated on progress. I know its not a Camaro, but you areo such good guys here thought you would possibly want to see the progress
Why not! You can start a project post in the "project" forum. It's pretty wide open to all cars or trucks, so nobody will give you grief for doing a Chevy truck project there. Heck, I put my Austin gasser project there and no problems.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ole Blue '74
What u gonna do with the tranny?
I am going to sell both the motor and tranny. They both work flawlessly.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Going with the stock front suspension, or swapping in a subframe and later control arm suspension. Camro, Nova, subframes make a great donor for these old trucks. Once welded in they will make the engine a bolt in, and the brake masters can be used too.
Another option is to find an old S10 cheap, then strip the body off and put your new truck's body on the S10 chassis. With all the various length S10's they made you can probably find one that's pretty close to the same wheelbase. Then it's just dropping in a V8 and you're ready to roll.

Last edited by 1971BB427; 07-30-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Going with the stock front suspension, or swapping in a subframe and later control arm suspension. Camro, Nova, subframes make a great donor for these old trucks. Once welded in they will make the engine a bolt in, and the brake masters can be used too.
Another option is to find an old S10 cheap, then strip the body off and put your new truck's body on the S10 chassis. With all the various length S10's they made you can probably find one that's pretty close to the same wheelbase. Then it's just dropping in a V8 and you're ready to roll.
Actually you may find it crazy but I am going to keep all the stock suspension in. I know its going to sound off due to putting in a LS1 in in the truck with a 4L60E and a newer rear axle. but i want the rest of the truck to remain unmolested. I have spent the last week (ive been on vacation just stayed at home) reading and researching. There seems to be a few ways these trucks are done Completely stock. S-10 frame with 350/350. Nova/Camaro front clip. or MII type IFS. there are none that i have found so far that have taken a LSx and 4L60E and made it work with the stock solid front suspention.

I know it sound counter intuitive being that i want somthing that is comfortable to drive from here to california, something that is reliable and gets over 20MPG. and then not put a IFS frame under it. I have driven quite a few solid front suspension trucks and I kinda like the rougher ride. Plus when someone pops the hood they will be like "OH not another LSx Swap.. wait... is that the stock front suspention.. egad!!! lol

So yes the parts i plan on updating to modern are motor/trans/rearend/brakes/power steering. and that should be it. I dont even think ill be doing a updated stereo in it. The long trips will be handled by my XOOM, or my sons IPOD. which is more then enough to keep me interested while driving down the road.

What i plan on doing is a complete frame off restoration on the truck. Everything done by my son and I. The only part that I know right now i can not do is the PAINT. However a good friend of mine has been in the body shop business for all of his life 30+ years of experience. He plans on teaching me how to paint. Now i know this will be no SEMA truck. I plan on it being a driver in summer.

Mike (my painter buddy) and I have done 3 LSx swaps already in customers cars (he owns a shop) and the first one we did was his. He had a heck of a time finding someone to help him do it. I went down one weekend and within 6 hours we had it stabbed in and ready to go. So between the both of us we know we can put this new technology into a 50 year old frame. As i stated earlier on when i thought i was getting the camaro I had a supercharged 4 banger that was pushing 260hp. I know modern computer controlled cars. After all i am an IT junkie! lol. Cant wait to get started!

Thanks for letting me stick around! Looking forward to keep you all abreast of the progress!!!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Nothing wrong with the stock straight axle once you completely rebuild it with new king pins and bushings, plus tie rod ends and drag ling parts. I used to have a 1957 Suburban Carryall that we swapped a 389 Pontiac from a GTO and TH400 into. I ran a late model Pontiac rearend, but just rebuilt the straight axle and it drove wonderful.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

how much are you gonna sell the trans for.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ole Blue '74
how much are you gonna sell the trans for.
PM me and we can work something out.