need tech help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Default need tech help

hey i own a 77 camaro with a 305 and a 2 barrel i just found a ls1 and i 6 speed trans for 1500 since i live in ca i need to put a newer motor in to pass smog does anyone know what its going to take to get that motor in there not going to use the trans will stick with a auto or even might go with a lt1 thanks for any help

Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: need tech help

The 6 speed is worth the 1500 by itself. LT1 will bolt in LS1 is all different and would require alot of fab. You plan on keeding the fuel injection?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM

yes going to keep the fuel injection need it to get it to pass bar if a Lt1 will bolt in i would go with that what about the trans willthe stock th350 bolt up or do i have to go with a 700r4

Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Stock 350 should bolt up.

How are you with electronics? You understand that your LT1computer systemcan not be hooked into all those pre-computer systems. The volt spikes from your blower motor or wiper motor shuting down ment nothing to your 77 camaro but to this computer system it would be devastating. The AC system (if you have that) the complete charging system all need to come from a computer controled cars.
In 1985 GM said their number one reason for computer failures was because of jumper cables.When a computer controled cars hooked to non-computer cars Computer got fried. No its not just the "dirty" charging system. Any time a magnetic coil is turn off the coil colapses and fires a couple of hunderd volts into the system. Since there is no amperage behind it there is no threat to basic motors. Today diodes stop these spikes from getting out of any componet on the car.

I don't mean to be all negitive. If you are good with electronics or know someone who is you can splice in one power source to the computer and basicly build a surge protector or even a area of the fuse box. I just giving you a head up.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 PM

no i didn't know that i am OK at wiring as long as i can find someone that has done itand can give me an idea on what i need to do i can do it i know its not going to just be a drop in and go i know i will need to do the fuel lines wiring and all the little stuff but with Cali's stupid smog laws i have no otherroute to go plus i want fuel injection better gas mileage easy er start ups do u know what the lt1 puts out as far as hp goes and if i do go with the 700r4 does that use a different cross member and i am sure the drive line length will change would it be worth it to go with a aluminum one