General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it best to become a general auto repair tech or an auto specialty tech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Default Is it best to become a general auto repair tech or an auto specialty tech?

Does it pay more to specialize, if so, what? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes they specialty techs get paid more but most trained mechanics get training in all areas. When I first started as a wrench (1985) I was focused on Automatic trans rebuilding but in first dealership I worked in had 2 trans guys and needed a drivability tech, since I was trained in it I did a lot of it. Within 2 years I was making as much as any wrench in the dealership. If you end up in a flat rate garage knowing as many things as possible is the way to make money. While working on EFI or transmission will pay the most per hour AC work and Suspension work is the easiest to beat rate on. I could turn in 65-70 hours worth of work in 40 hours in the early summer cause of AC work. I would average 30-40% more that month or two then I averaged the rest of the year.

FYI No one, not even my father could talk me out of being a mechanic. It’s a tuff job. You work your butt off. You’re constantly in training for new stuff and you need new tools. You are stressed to meet rate every minute of the day. The real kick in the pants is when you find out just about any electrician or plumber make way more money than you do. That’s why you do not see many older mechanics. If you don’t own your own shop you’re not making a lot of money. I do it as a hobby now but for 10 years after I stopped doing as a job I wanted nothing to do with it. We have all read “do what you love and you will never work another day in your life” for me it was the opposite. Doing what I loved for a living made me hate it. I still hate working on mini van Fixing cars is cool but dealing with all the other BS; customers, service managers, poorly written repair manuals.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So, If i wana start to learn (already know a bit), i'm already in the military so i cant really get a job there lol, but i want to learn about body work, customization, and general auto repair. Dumb question, but when my cars in the shop, you think they would mind me helping out and learning as they go?

Last edited by Gen2-454; 01-21-2011 at 02:29 PM.