Mechanical Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Mechanical Fuel Pump Question

the other day i got a brand new federal-Mogul carter fuel pump for 3$ in box with no use on the rocker arm so i can assume well enough its never been used, the gasket is still there also,

but i noticed it is a 3 fitting pump, this is going on my 1983 camaro, but my 1983 camaro is being built bascily to resemble any second gen, using my holley 1850, and intake from my 79, ect......

i hear different things about the 3 fittings, that the 3rd is a return line, and being i removed my in tank electric fuel pump on the 83 for a solid line and strainer, i have enough returns back to the tank so that doesnt effect me,

my question is what tends to be better? i hear 3 line pumps keep pressure better, and help keep fuel temps down, because of the problem of heat soak into the fuel pump its self warms the fuel up, but with a return it keeps it from cycling next to the block.

i dont want to buy another one but i have a oem used one from the 79s but i would like to use this fresh brand new in box pump on my fresh brand new crate 305 i have, with all its other fresh brand new parts,

i just want to hear more about the 3 fitting style fuel pumps, i can figure out how to get a return back to the tank easy.

thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Overdrive Member

OK the 3 line pump has a higher volume to keep the carb filled faster but the return helps keep the carb from getting flooded. Once the presseure hits a certain point a check valve opens and the fuel is routed back to the tank. If you just block this off you may have flooding problems with the carb, If your tank has the ability to handle a 3 line pump then go for it.

Also if your electric pump is still in the tank have it removed and a solid line put in its place. You will have fuel issues if you are trying to pull fuel through the pump.

Massey

Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear member

correct, and yeah that in tank fuel pump is coming out,(might use it for a bucketpump for oil or something) im just toying with the idea of what flanged fittings to use to give me the correct extention and i got a strainer about ready to be ordered(waiting on paycheck) then to braze it to my extension piece.

and yeah my fuel sender has 4 fittings at the tank ones a screened breather, ones an unscreened breather ones a return that goes to bottom of tank (the one im going to track back for that 3rd fitting) and 4th will be the actual fuel pickup line to pump so its going to be a pretty happy tank i think when its done, and i guess that carter fuel pump is a decent pump its just if you dont have that line back you will have problems, but it flows a good pressure and is reliable from what i read,

so this is kind of an odd ball question... but would it be bad to double fuel filter this setup like run a filter on the return line? cause i can do that very easy, and with the constant circulation i can see an added benefit to just keep crap out of my jets and have clean fuel,

Last edited by brownstone101; 04-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Running a return line is a good idea. Besides keeping the fuel cooler it also keeps fuel moving towards the carb and not sitting still waiting to fill the carb.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Overdrive Member

filtering the return is about usless since any debris will be picked up in the tank not in the lines. dual filters is doable just put them both on the main feed and at oppisite ends (one near the tank one right before or after the pump)

Massey