Large red wire with weird plug on it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Large red wire with weird plug on it???

When I bought my Camaro last summer it had a Rochester 4 barrel Carburetor with an electric choke on it. The power was supplied to the electric choke from a large red wire with a weird looking plug on it. When I say large wire, I'm talking about a wire that's between 1/8" and 3/16" thick with the red coating on it.

It has no power until the key is turned to the run position. I didn't check to see if it had power when turned back to the radio on position.

I want to make this into a "power block" for accessories requiring 12 volts while the car is running like my electric choke, my Volt Meter Gauge, my tach. and any thing else I might need accessory power only when the car is running.

How does this sound? Does anyone know what this wire was originally used for? I can't seem to find it in my Haynes manual.

I also have two small blue wires that seem to have been cut on the drivers side of the firewall a little bit lower then the steering column and in more towards the transmission hump.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Overdrive Member

I would find out what fuse its on. Sounds like alot of stuff for one wire. Post a pic. It sounds like power to the ac. But this is not my expertise. Although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know how to post pic's lol. It's a pretty thick wire though.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If the wire is about 1/8" thick not counting insulation it will handle 40 amps with no trouble. If that's the total diamter with insulation it's more like 15 amps. Now this still depends on what it's fused at, and that's easy to determine. Put a 12 v. test light on the end of the wire and pull fuses one at a time until the light goes out. Once it goes out look at the position and how it's marked. Then look at the fuse rating.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Just get a photobucket account, there free. Upload your pics to that site. The when your gonna post a pic to this forum go to photobucket and find the on you want. rag the curser over the pic you want, then a menu will open under the pic. Right click on the one that says direct link, and go to copy. Then left click. Then come here and when you get to the part of your text that you want the pic in.( I usually say everthing first then the pic) Go to the little mountain and sun icon at the top of the message box. Click on that. You might get a yellow bat at the top of the screen asking if you trust the web site yad yad yad. If you bring the curser over that it turns blue, click it. Then click to temporarily allow. Now go back to the message box and click the mountain again. A box will open in the left corner of the screen, backspace the http// and when its gone and the curser still on that line right click. The menu will open and bring the curser down to paste. The line from photobucket should appear. Click ok. Then post your reply. Congrats you just learn to cut and paste.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear member

put more things on it! like a CB and a 12vlt blender!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
Just get a photobucket account, there free. Upload your pics to that site. The when your gonna post a pic to this forum go to photobucket and find the on you want. rag the curser over the pic you want, then a menu will open under the pic. Right click on the one that says direct link, and go to copy. Then left click. Then come here and when you get to the part of your text that you want the pic in.( I usually say everthing first then the pic) Go to the little mountain and sun icon at the top of the message box. Click on that. You might get a yellow bat at the top of the screen asking if you trust the web site yad yad yad. If you bring the curser over that it turns blue, click it. Then click to temporarily allow. Now go back to the message box and click the mountain again. A box will open in the left corner of the screen, backspace the http// and when its gone and the curser still on that line right click. The menu will open and bring the curser down to paste. The line from photobucket should appear. Click ok. Then post your reply. Congrats you just learn to cut and paste.
Or when you get to the part you want the pic in just hold your "Ctrl" key down and hit the "V" key and whatever you copied will be in the post. Much easier and faster for me.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Overdrive Member

I was unaware of that. I'll give a try next time.