Plug and wire choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Plug and wire choice

I am about to order new Plugs and Wires for my '98 V6. Right now it is all stock but by mid February I plan to get headers, high-flow catand full exhaust. And maybe in May I will get a 100 shot. So I am looking for something that would work well both on the stock set up, and after some upgrades for the future. I understand there are many different types of plugs available: different brands, different materials, different tips, etc. and am having extreme trouble deciding on what to get. A few people recommended different things to me so I am not sure who to listen to. Right now I am leaning towards the Bosch Platinum plugs but I also read somebody talk crap about them. So what are your thoughts?

Btw, I have a $100 budget for both plugs and wires, and I am willing to get the more expensive parts if that means more reliable sparks.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Plug and wire choice

Any thoughts? I am ordering today so would appreciate any quick advice.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

NGK iridium is what I used with Bosch 7mm wires. My car starts great now even on cold starts. I would recommend NGK platinum plugs if you have a budget, but if you don't then I would go with iridium. I just recently heard that NGK iridium and platinum plugs both have anti fouling characteristics. So if you have a high mileage vehicle and if you do I guarantee some degree of oil is getting pass the rings and with these your guaranteed that they won't foul out. Wires, I would go with the thickest you can find.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna have to hijack this thread. Will the AC Delco Iridium 41-101 plugs go in a 3.8 Series II? I also found something called AC Delco Rapidfire #14. Whats the skinny on those, and will they go in a 3.8 Series II as well?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Droid

Many plugs will fit in, but most important you need plugs that not only fit but also havethe proper heat range for your engine. Your engine uses the waste spark system, so the plugs you use should be tipped (platinum, irridium, or whatever) on both the ground and center electrodes. However, if your engine is basically stock, use whatever GM recommends. The factory used the plugs that gave the best performance and service, and has enough clout to have plugs made to their specs.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

Would it be worth it to get an 8.5mm MSD wireset?

http://www.atlanticspeed.com/product...p;idcategory=0

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Droid

It won't add any power, but it will make you feel better. Just make sure that they will fit, especially in the distributor.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

Would it be worth it to get an 8.5mm MSD wireset?

http://www.atlanticspeed.com/product...p;idcategory=0
No, all you are paying for is the MSD name. I have the taylor 8.2 wire set and they have the same resistance the MSD wires have, and they were $10 cheaper. Technicly it would add HP, but the numbers are so low its not even worth thinking about it.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I imagine if you race at the track then yeah your numbers might be a bit better with the MSD. But thats about the only way you will notice gains.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: purpl96

I imagine if you race at the track then yeah your numbers might be a bit better with the MSD. But thats about the only way you will notice gains.
The key to spark plug wires is the amount of resistance they have. The 8.5mm MSD wires & the 8.2 taylor wires both have 50 ohms of resistance. Theres no need to pay more, your getting the exsact same thing, except the MSD wires say MSD on them.

Quick Reply: Plug and wire choice