Hp guess

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you're still pedaling it to get it hooked with the borrowed slicks, then it may be as simple as getting different slicks to break into the 6 sec. range. Might need a softer compound, or wider foot print slick. Might also mess with air pressure, but be sure the slicks are screwed to the rims if you start hooking harder. You're so close to 6's that it might make it with the slicks you have if you try various air pressure with them.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Possibly. Sorry was kinda excited when I posted that. No I'm not pedaling now that was all she had full throttle line to line. That was prob 101% on her part lol..that's kinda what I meant just not worded properly. May try taking all the other seats and speakers out and adjusting air in slicks. Since I'm not spinning now MORE psi would be better for rolling resistance right? Cheeks, Gorn anyone else I read back through this thread and I apologize if I offended either of you I didn't mean some of what I said the way it sounded. I understood where you were coming from the whole time I was just frustrated because I didn't have funds to get her where she needed to be and wouldn't have believed me either. I just took a couple posts out of context(my fault). I can admit when I'm wrong.

One more question I have is do I have the shocks right? I have front set to extra firm and rear set to regular(I assume that means around stock)? I'm not gonna get more 60' it seems (prob bc of stall). I was really surprised that I didn't bog hooking the way it did. I also found a 750 dp I may try bc I think the 830 leaves a little on table even though I've spent hours tuning it. I forgot to mention that I did remove the choke. What do you guys think? Builder disagrees and says I will lose more above about 6800 than I will pick up down low. I tend to want to disagree. I'm happy all in all now so even though 6.99 would be nice it would be nicer to keep her on the road and I pushed her to the max this time...ya I can admit when I gets nervous too and 7500 makes me nervous...lol thanks guys for bearing with me and putting up with my rambling over the last year and sharing pointers....

Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you saying your builder says you shouldn't remove the choke, or you shouldn't go to the smaller carb? Not clear what you're referring to?
If your car is fully hooking with no tire spin at all, then you may want to add some air. But if it's not spinning at all, and not bogging at all, then maybe you've hit the sweet spot? Really need to be sure your tires aren't spinning at all, prior to making any changes, or it might go the other direction.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry. He said I shouldn't step down to a 750. He didn't care about choke only that it was mech secondary and 800+cfm he recommended an 850 cfm, bg an 800 race, qf 830 street(or something like that, called holley too). I wanted electric choke and split the difference on the small side of builder.
Ok that sounds like a good plan. Gonna try again this weekend. I can get 50 more lbs out pretty easy. But ive never ran slicks before and not used to them, so yeah really good idea. I will see if i can get someone to watch/vid my launch. I'm content even if I don't get any better but not a quitter. Make a couple passes, then start taking weight out. Thanks.

Last edited by Flextrainer; 03-24-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Before you go again, take some white liquid shoe polish and put a 2" wide stripe on the sidewall of the slick. It will make it much easier for whoever is watching to see if the tires are spinning on launch. It's really hard for a spectator from behind the wall to see if (or how much) a tire is spinning without a reference mark.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Always wondered why the white stripe you see on some. That will also help see if spinning on rim too. I'm thinking that with the 2200 stall if anything it won't spin till at least 10'-20' out as that is where I always had the most trouble if I didn't pedal just right. I'm thinking that with the slicks since I'm already moving it just goes and when it would normally spin the slicks are just good enough already moving. If I was asked for a guess I would say I'm closer to bog than spin, but idk. I did let idle at light still instead of brake torquing it so there is some adjustment left there too. Have secondaries set to open at 60% throttle, but I suspect that helps bog. Will see this weekend, I have a 40% and 1:1 linkage too. Have bigger squirters if I run into bog. I'm gonna go ahead and try the shocks softer in rear too. Will use stripe on tires only for first few passes before I touch anything and adjust from there, just not sure which order. Heck maybe ill get lucky and perfect circumstances will get me a 6.99 and then I can turn around and just leave....nah just kiddin..well maybe...lol