help replacein the ignition switch tumbeler

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Default help replacein the ignition switch tumbeler

Ok now I've done this many times with things rangin from 64 malibu's and 64 darts up to 90 camaros.So not exactly new ta the task.However this was neat.Got the steerin wheel off and everything under it out then all I saw was a blank wall so to speak.The barell is inside the collar and there was no visiable pin torx screw or anything like that.I had 4 bolts that loosened the collar from the column.@ square holes with plastic pieces whit contact points on em.But no obvious hold in devices.What am I missing here??Gonna take pix of what I saw soon as the freezin rain quits.Dang TN weather is a pain in the butt sumtimes.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: help replacein the ignition switch tumbeler

Hopefully yours is the same as the earlier second gen. First you need to put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the "run" position (not start). Around the one o'clock postition (under the steering wheel), you should see a small vertical slot in the housing. Insert a thin screwdriver in that slot, and push down on the ignition lockspring latch while pulling the lock assembly out.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Hopefully yours is the same as the earlier second gen. First you need to put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the "run" position (not start). Around the one o'clock postition (under the steering wheel), you should see a small vertical slot in the housing. Insert a thin screwdriver in that slot, and push down on the ignition lockspring latch while pulling the lock assembly out.

Yep thats what chiltons says too.However no keys.That makes hard ta turn cylynder.Gonna just hotwire it for initial startup and if it's gonna be turnkey with no major issues than guess I'll call a locksmith to rekey or make new one on the spot.Anyone know how ta remove it without damagein colar & without key??

Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Ok took steerin wheel,lock plate,&turn sigs out the way and have a dead space so to speak.I'm not seein any pins,torx screws not even any part of the cylynder.Theres 4 bolts that when removed allow me to almost pull the collar off.I imagine I'll have to drop the column and bring it all in the house and do surgery on it.Be alot easier if I had a key.Damnit.Oh well I'll keep tryin.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Ok this sux.Still no further in the removal.Did get the other column but it's either not original to the 73 it came from or just not the same.It has a screw type retainin piece.Crap guess gonna just have ta pay ta get a locksmith to cut a key to fit this column.Tryin not to tear up the flash as it's all pristine in there still.So time to not be a cheap butt and get it done professionaly.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:43 PM

[sm=badbadbad.gif]Can you say HELL YEA!!!!!!!

Did it.Replaced the tumbeler.It only took totally disasembelin the whole strreing coloumn.I mean I had ta take everything inside the car apart from the steering wheel all the way down to the shaft.But it's back together except the steerin wheel isn't back on yet.Wanted ta try it b4 I put it back on incase it didn't work and I had ta install 1 of the backup columns I have.Glad it worked out tho hate ta have had to install a tan one from a 79 cutlas or the blk one from the 90(which I doubt would fit)Camaro.
But got it together and turned the key and she started right up.Vice grips on the shaft and the thing turned without much wobble outta the internal bearings.So all said and done the sugery was a success.
Next is rubber on the rims and use the schematics a generous member sent me to repair the spagetti under the hood.Then reset the doors.Maybe replace the door lock tumbelers as well.Trunk while I'm at it.Then roll her down the block and see wht I have to play with.Already have a couple a motors lined up for backup.
Damn almost forgot how much this was havin ta turn wrenchs just ta keep a car alive just ain't the same.Hell I may even start back into the ole Malibu and give the 90 o the son.
That would be fun.The wife with her 77 Camaro son with his 90 Camaro daughter in her 79-80 cutlas supreme ,and me in my 64 Malibu.LOL think I've lost it again.Thanx gang......