Fuel Tank Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Smile Fuel Tank Replacement Questions

Hello everyone,

Well, I have been working on replacing my exhaust on my '72. I have been patiently waiting as new issues keep resurfacing. Yesterday I took it in to be welded (I don't have the equipment myself) and it turns out I have a pretty bad leak from the fuel tank. So now I am trying to figure out which steps I should take to replace it.

So my questions:

1. Is there anything else I need to buy besides the fuel tank?

2. Is it a good idea to run the car dry or is it better to siphon the fuel?

3. I can do the job myself but is there any reason why it is a better idea to pay someone?

Any help you have is greatly appreciated. I have been very patient with all this stuff on my car and I thank those of you who help me for being patient with me.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Droid

Don't run the tank dry as you may wind up clogging the fuel system with crud. Make sure all the fuel lines and hoses are good, and replace the fuel pump if it is inside the tank. This is also a good time to replace the fuel gage sender inside the tank.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Can't answer whether you should do it or have it done. I don't know your mechanical skills. But if you're able to unbolt-remove-replace things on the car, then you can do it. Unless your car has been converted over to FI, you won't have an in-tank fuel pump. You really need to crawl under the car and see what else you may need to replace. Check the condition of the two hanger straps. If your tank is that bad, chances the hangers are bad, or they will be by the time you get them off. Don't forget the strap-to-tank insulator gaskets too. Replace any connected rubber fuel hoses with new. A new sending unit is optional, but you will need a new gasket/lock ring kit for it. After it's all together, run it for a short while, and then change your fuel filter.
Oh yeah, don't smoke while working on the tank!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
Don't run the tank dry as you may wind up clogging the fuel system with crud. Make sure all the fuel lines and hoses are good, and replace the fuel pump if it is inside the tank. This is also a good time to replace the fuel gage sender inside the tank.
Thank you, I will try to run it very low (it's full right now) and then I will see how I can empty the rest. I will also check the lines and hoses. I am pretty sure the pump is not inside the tank but I will definitely check it out. I think I will order the sender unit also. Great info.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Can't answer whether you should do it or have it done. I don't know your mechanical skills. But if you're able to unbolt-remove-replace things on the car, then you can do it. Unless your car has been converted over to FI, you won't have an in-tank fuel pump. You really need to crawl under the car and see what else you may need to replace. Check the condition of the two hanger straps. If your tank is that bad, chances the hangers are bad, or they will be by the time you get them off. Don't forget the strap-to-tank insulator gaskets too. Replace any connected rubber fuel hoses with new. A new sending unit is optional, but you will need a new gasket/lock ring kit for it. After it's all together, run it for a short while, and then change your fuel filter.
Oh yeah, don't smoke while working on the tank!
As always, thank you. I don't know whether I have the skills but you have to learn sometime: I'll just be safe around it. I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have the pump inside the tank. I'll definitely check the condition of the hanger straps.

Thanks for the information about the gasket/lock ring kit I really didn't know that. I'll get right on it when I get the car back today. The only thing that kind of blows is having to wait for the parts.