electrical help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default electrical help please

I have a 79 camaro and I am wanting to put an electric fuel pump, water pump and cooling fans in. Are the electrical ones that much better than mechanical or is it just mainly for looks. The motor is a 383 stroker and is going to be mainly a cruiser. Question is if I do go with the electric how difficult are the installs like mounting and wiring?, and also what all would I need for each? I know my way around cars but I'm not big on the electronics side. Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Why do you want to go with an electric fuel pump and water pump, cuz it's "nifty"?
You're better off with mechanical for a couple of reasons, in my opinion anyway.
1) Electrical motor driven components can fail, at any time, without warning. If a mechanical water pump goes bad, it usually will still work, but it will leak. When an electric water pump goes out, you're screwed, left on the side of the road, and usually farther than pushing distance from home.
2) Mechanical fuel pumps work just fine. An electric pump isn't necessary unless you have FI, or if your engine doesn't have mechanical pump provisions. For the result of an electric fuel pump failure, see above.
3) The cooling fan, I could go either way with that one. I put on an electric fan because I wanted a cleaner engine compartment, less hazard of losing a finger, and no chance of zinging a blade apart at high rpm's. Another nice thing is that at highway speed, you don't even need to have the fan running. Air pushing through the radiator will be all that's needed to cool it.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for your reply. I think I will just go with the electric cooling fans and stick with the mechanical fuel and water pump. I wasn't sure if the "cooler" looking electric stuff was worth it and it sounds like if anything it could cause you more problems. THANKS!!
-Zack

Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Wink

I just finished an all internally forged 350 motor, and tinkered with the same ideas you are talking about. some issues i found are

1) Electric fuels pumps are way to expensive when you compare them to an edlebrock or holley fuel pump that is rated at 110gph which trust me will work fine for any cruiser.

2) Water pump its interesting I bought a GM Proform electric myself thinking it may help provide a few extra horse, which would have been the case, only problem was it wasnt made to run with a heater duh! a mistake i didnt realize until after I mounted the pump. Lucky for me i had an old mickey thompson high flow mechanical sitting around, and then i checked it out, it would take an electric motor way to large to match the flowing capacity of that of a high flow mechanical pump. So in that case get and edlebrock highflow pump if overheating may be an issue.

3)Electric Fan like in the other response i agree it saves from having to worry if youll still have fingers left at the end of the day. I bought a single 2200cfm fan from my local speed shop and run a be cool aluminum radiator and have run through all of town in stop light traffic and not had a problem plus it saves weight up front, This IS a part I HIGHLEY recomened. def. worth the money.

and spend the rest you'll save to upgrade your ignition system