Electric radiator fans, what works best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Default Electric radiator fans, what works best?

Anyone used a dual fan set-up from a 4th gen? I need to keep my temps down on my blown big block. This is all I have right now, it's also overdriven 20%, gonna swap pulleys and make it underdriven to hopefully lower temps also. I got the car pretty much the way it is powertrain wise, but I need to make it more streetable when cruising and sitting in traffic. Temps will climb 220+ after driving 20 minutes without traffic.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Haven't used dual fans from a 4th gen, but air flow is very important, as is the coverage. The largest radiator you can fit in there, plus as much surface fan area as possible. A smaller single fan on a big radiator wont cool as well as duals with a shroud that fits the radiator. Also a puller fan setup cools much better than a pusher if you have room to have it in a puller location.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 AM

I'm gonna move this fan over and add another fan that has it's own shroud (pt cruiser assy). This fan I have is set up on puller side. This thing will run hot while cruising, I don't sit in much traffic when I can help it. Gonna send radiator out today and get it flow tested and boiled out, add the other fan and see what happens.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by nikogto
I'm gonna move this fan over and add another fan that has it's own shroud (pt cruiser assy). This fan I have is set up on puller side. This thing will run hot while cruising, I don't sit in much traffic when I can help it. Gonna send radiator out today and get it flow tested and boiled out, add the other fan and see what happens.
I assume if you're adding the other fan and a shroud, your shroud will cover the whole radiator and the two fans? It wouldn't help much if a 2nd fan was added with it's own shroud. Looks like a pretty new radiator, and can't imagine it wouldn't be clean and have good flow, but you might consider a double or triple pass radiator. They're pretty reasonable now, and often cheaper than having a radiator cleaned and checked. I just purchased a fully welded aluminum triple pass 19"x31" for my BBC powered '63 Falcon and it was $234 shipped to me.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I assume if you're adding the other fan and a shroud, your shroud will cover the whole radiator and the two fans? It wouldn't help much if a 2nd fan was added with it's own shroud. Looks like a pretty new radiator, and can't imagine it wouldn't be clean and have good flow, but you might consider a double or triple pass radiator. They're pretty reasonable now, and often cheaper than having a radiator cleaned and checked. I just purchased a fully welded aluminum triple pass 19"x31" for my BBC powered '63 Falcon and it was $234 shipped to me.
Not gonna send it out to rad shop. Found out by looking at this not so cheap Be Cool radiator, you can barely see any light through the fins, not just one spot but the whole radiator. I'll try to add some pics. When I look at the spare radiator on the shop floor for a S10 blazer, you can see your hand on the other side. That's definitely gonna keep air from properly flowing through and cooling the cores. I think I might pick up just a plain rad from advance today and install it to see the results with 2 fans installed. Does anyone else here run a Be Cool rad on their ride?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by nikogto
Not gonna send it out to rad shop. Found out by looking at this not so cheap Be Cool radiator, you can barely see any light through the fins, not just one spot but the whole radiator. I'll try to add some pics. When I look at the spare radiator on the shop floor for a S10 blazer, you can see your hand on the other side. That's definitely gonna keep air from properly flowing through and cooling the cores. I think I might pick up just a plain rad from advance today and install it to see the results with 2 fans installed. Does anyone else here run a Be Cool rad on their ride?
So it's built with flow restrictions in the fins? Sounds like it must be a Be Cool thing, and might be the same with every radiator they make?
I had to go look at my radiators to see what they look like. I have two Griffins and the latest Northern. All seem to be pretty open on the cooling fins, and I can see my hand on the back side with overhead lights on.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
So it's built with flow restrictions in the fins? Sounds like it must be a Be Cool thing, and might be the same with every radiator they make?
I had to go look at my radiators to see what they look like. I have two Griffins and the latest Northern. All seem to be pretty open on the cooling fins, and I can see my hand on the back side with overhead lights on.
I've never really seen that before, why have restrictions on airflow?? Picked up an oem cheap rad from advance last night, you can see your hand through it without light. Gonna install that today and make a bracket to mount the fan in front of the radiator, new coolant and some redline water wetter and see how she does.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We run a Be cool rad in our camaro, its a BB but not blown but we do race it alot, we had problems with keeping it cool also. We put a Flexalite syclone (curved blade) fan on it and it really keeps the temps down, you need something that flows at least 2500 cfm. Also a bottle or two of water wetter helps too.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM

You might look into running a Taurus 2 speed electric fan, it is one of the most popular electric fans that get used for conversions. I am converting mine now because my generic electric fan doesn't pull enough air through the radiator.

Here is a site with some great info about the Taurus fan conversion:
electric fan FAQ links | IH8MUD Forum

And:
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

Last edited by NorCal_71; 06-07-2014 at 03:08 PM.