chasing a leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008 | 10:09 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: chasing a leak

The Posts you linked do not complain of puddles of oil underthe car or even on the intake.They are talking about seepage around the bolts.This is caused by oil following up the bolt because of vibration with some assistants from blow by. It is not possible to get any real volume with those factors. If internal blow by pressures was that high you would have oil coming out everywhere. With normal oil changes seepage is not a factorin the life of a car it is a major factor for show cars. GM just paints the 305s black so seepage could not be seen. I think this is where we disagree.

The reason I get frustrated and become such a tool is at one point I was the lead tech in very large shop. If I handed a work order to any of my 15 techs in 1989 and said there was oil on the intake of a 305 he would walk over to the parts counter and order the valve cover repair kit before he even brought the car in. Not because I told them that but because the issue was that common. Is it possible its something else? Yes. Hell it could be pushing out the distributor for all I know but in working on 100’s of 305 it is the only thing I have seen that will cause a puddle and start to fill the intake with oil.

Yes I do admit I am a tool, I re-read my post and get sick to my stomach. I am sorry A-holeness. Too many pain killers last night

Gorn

Old 04-15-2008 | 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: chasing a leak

I hope your painkillers were able to take you to a better place...at least for a little while!!! [&:]
I wasn't trying to make this subject turn into such a banter, but it has been fun?
In the past, I have had intake bolt weepage actually create a puddle in the valley adjacent to the bolts. And that's why I suggested that initially, because it sounded to me like that's where he was getting some of his oil (on top of the manifold by the bolts). I wasn't suggesting that would also be his dripping issue, it obviously can't be. Actually, I wasn't even addressing his underneath dripping issue, so that could be where some cornfusion came into play. To me it sounds like his leaks are very possibly from more than one source. I know a picture of his intake would certainly help tell the story too.
By now, I'm sure you know I'm not trying to blow smoke out my ***, nor do I think you are either. As a guy who likes to do the unconventional, I always keep my mind open for alternative ways of doing things and fixing issues. I also don't automatically take things at face value, cuz sometimes the obvious isn't always so obvious.
So for the record Gorn, is it better to have a "discussion" with you while you're on or off the meds? You gotta let me know beforehand!!! Either that, or I'll have to take some meds too so we can be on a level playing field.