79 doors help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Overdrive Member

Adjust it. The bushing/pins are probably worn.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Sounds good, i will look at those when i get back home then. Just thought of another question, the guy I bought it from has locking pliers where the window crank would go and its now rounded off, what should/needs to be replaced? Would it be the window regulator? Also, does it need to be replaced or do you guys think there is any way to repair it?

Once again thanks alot.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I never thought about using the the dummy E. Great idea Steve.
You will be surprised how many listings you will find spelled with the e,i have also seen a few that really could'nt spell and put cemero,haha.

As for the door question,you can find new replacement door shells,but they are almost $700 each.Like stated above i would check craigslist and spell it both ways in the search.Another thing about the fiberglass doors,other than the safety issue,is that they are not a traditional type of door,the window gets screwed onto a lip and does'nt roll up and down it always stays up,they are made for race cars.As for the window crank,yes that part is on the regulator,not sure if it can be repaired or not,but they do sell new regulators.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info BM, I have managed to find a pair of door shells for $660 total with an additional 20% off if I order soon. I have checked craigslist but to no avail. I'm not sure if it's the area I'm in but it doesn't seem like people sell to much of the second gen stuff. As for the regulator, I have seen then new but wanted to ask more knowledgeable people before I went off and bought needless parts. And thanks for the info on the fiberglass doors, I'm not going to get them now that I know a bit more about them but its useful to know about the window I suppose. Thanks guys

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by shaun91
And Camaro 69, quick question for you since you have dual holleys, how do i find out which carb I have? I may be able to take a picture and post it some time. Or do you know where the part number would be on it? Thanks again.
Remove the air cleaner and look at the air horn on the carb, there will be numbers stamped on it.
Then...http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...%20Listing.pdf

Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

You should be able to get a straight door. When I said swap meets, while you can look there, what I meant was a for sale section in a forum. Swap meets are glorified flea markets. The last one I went to was last weekend. There were more metal signs all put together than car parts I bet. If you wanted a big metal penzoil sign, you could have it.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a donor door is a good idea for the one that's badly dented. I'd do pin kits on both doors, while they're off to freshen up the hinges. If you find a donor car to get a door, and they aren't too spendy, then it may be much easier to just buy both and not mess with the regulator on the other door.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Overdrive Member

Skinning a door isnt a bad idea either. Not real hard if you have access to a grinder and a welder.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Ok, so I believe I found the part number for the carb, it says 1850-7 and under that it says 2184. With the link you posted I saw 1850s but not an 1850-7. So i guess my question would be is this the right number?

About the doors, I'm still looking and I will buy a pin kit for the doors, unless the hinges are bent a little. My teacher warned me that most people would lean on the doors getting in and out of the car and it would bend the pins and hinges. I have also found a new pair of doors for a little over $500 so i think I may go that route, or just buy one for a little over $250.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hard to bend hinges or pins by leaning on doors. They're very hard, and not easily bent, but they do wear out and need new bushings and pins. Camaro doors seem to wear even sooner with the length and weight of the doors.

Quick Reply: 79 doors help