79 doors help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Default 79 doors help

Alright, so I have been looking at some new doors to buy on my 79. I had a few questions before I just buy whatever I find. First off I have found some fiberglass doors and a regular shell door. Which of those would you recommend? What are the pros and cons of each. It would just be the door, so i know i would need new latches, handles, regulators and inner door hardware; but what else would be needed? I plan on buying new hinges as well.

I was thinking about buying the fiberglass for the reason of it being lighter and what not and only slightly more expensive. Does anyone know how much lighter it would actually be? Also, are there any complete doors anyone has come across? What sites or companies would you recommend as well? I am currently looking at a site called Classic Industries.

Thanks guys in advance.
Shaun

Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Do you want to drive the car on the street? If so, and you want fiberglass doors I'd hope you have a cage installed.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM

I do plan on it being a street car, but whats the reasoning of a cage? Sorry i dont usually look into fiberglass things so I dont know much about it. Once again thanks for the help

Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With glass doors, if you get t-boned you're as good as dead, or at least badly mamed.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Gotcha, should have figured that one with a name that has glass in it. Well then I guess that solves that, but does anyone know where I could get any complete doors? Or the other parts that I would be needing? (sorry I'm fairly new to all this, I'm only 19 and haven't done much interior/exterior)

And Camaro 69, quick question for you since you have dual holleys, how do i find out which carb I have? I may be able to take a picture and post it some time. Or do you know where the part number would be on it? Thanks again.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Do you not have doors at all? I would try to find some complete doors and go from there. Getting them a piece at a time would probably be impossible. If they were missing some things that is easy enough. You can look on craigslist for them. I usually do a generic search for camaro, and another one for camEro for the boneheads that can't spell. You will find them eventually. Also don't forget that you could find a donor car for the right price and sell it again after you take what you want.

Another good site is Nastyz28.com. The forum has a swapmeet section that is really active. Post up a pic of your carb, I'm sure someone can ID it.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM

Haha yea, I have doors. However i have never delved into one and not sure how everything goes together, as I'm sure it would be fairly self explanatory I also wouldn't like to take the chance of messing it up because I don't know what I'm doing. I will look into swap meets like you suggested. And I will post up a picture of the carb when i get home tomorrow; at the moment I'm having to dog sit

Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by shaun91
Haha yea, I have doors. However i have never delved into one and not sure how everything goes together, as I'm sure it would be fairly self explanatory I also wouldn't like to take the chance of messing it up because I don't know what I'm doing. I will look into swap meets like you suggested. And I will post up a picture of the carb when i get home tomorrow; at the moment I'm having to dog sit

So if you have doors why do you need new ones? Are they rotted out?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Overdrive Member

I never thought about using the the dummy E. Great idea Steve.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 PM

One of them looks ok but haven't really looked at it much, however the driver door has a huge dent in it and looks like it may be warped as well. At the moment if the door is completely closed it doesn't align with the body at all, I think all I have to do is move the striker bolt right; but if I close the door and it doesn't shut all the way, the top aligns with the body but closer to the bottom of the door it still looks like it sits way in. If that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: 79 doors help