77 camaro electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Default 77 camaro electrical issues

SO!!!
i have a 1977 camaro i bought from a old friend of mine. He had bought it from a man 10 years ago who had been working on it. It looks like he replaced most of everything. Car is in great shape, 66,000 miles on it.
well ive had to run my own ignition power source to the distributor, from the fuse box, nothing under the hood worked right (that i know of)
the only other issue ive come across is the fact that my instrument panel lights didnt work. Im not getting power to the fuse at all, i have no doubts in the dimmer/headlight switch. Anywho, i found a ground with a round end on it disconnected. Connected it to the body and nothing happened. So i left it disconnected. I messed around a good bit and then i noticed my turn signal messing up. All the lights work and are on except my pass. Marker light. Left works as it should, right made the few interior lights that did work flash with it but the exterior front light didnt work. I decided to put that ground to the body, (keep in mind that ground was never necessary before, and now its even affecting my fuel gauge) it fixed the interior lights flashing, bur didnt fix the exterior. Eh......
so inst lps and turn signal short ( i suppose) never had that problem until i tried to fix my instrument lamps without success. Thanks

Old 12-24-2017, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I found when dealing with electrical issues, a set of factory service manuals are indispensable. Being able to identify a particular wire in a loom can go a long way towards solving the problems you are trying to fix. Here's a link a Ebay auction for a complete set of manuals with the electrical diagrams.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:59 PM
HCN

Gotta love electrical gremlins. I have not so fond memories of trying to get the my 71 camaro to start with the key after i bought it back in 96 and had the very same issues you are dealing with. Never figured them out. I also ended up running a kill switch along with a heavy duty contact switch. Have you considered replacing the harness. Your camaro is 41 now, the wires are not what they used to be. The connections are not either. To top it all off there is possibly 41 years worth of folks bypassing the harness in spots. I went with a painless harness and love the results. The painless wires are marked every so often with what they are which is really nice and it fits in the stock location.