Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 383

Thanks for the inupt. I really apperciate it and please let me know when the Site is updated.
Also..
I looked up the 383 Stroker on your company site and there wasn't all that much information about the engine.
All I kept seeing was...

"Lafferty Performance is now offering 383 Stroker motors
straight from our NASCAR Engine Shop to you! Call Lafferty's
today and see what we can put together for you! Starting Price 3,599 "

Is there anymore information available without calling in?

This is going to be a Street/Strip car and unfortunatly I have a major budget... Fulltime student/part time job... I only bring home about 300 dollars a week...

Thanks again!!

~~~Andross~~~

Old 10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/...3_450drop.html
4 Bolt Main Block (One Piece Rear Seal)
Eagle Cast Steel Stroker Crankshaft Assembled W/Tri Metal Clevite 77 Rod And Main Bearings
Eagle H-Beam Bushed Connecting Rods W/ARP Rod Bolts (Good For Over 700HP)
High Performance Speed-Pro Pistons W/ Single Valve Relief
Hand Filed Performance Rings
Three Piece True Double Roller Timing Set
A Hand Selected Performance Roller Camshaft
16 New Crane Mechanical Roller Lifters
Dart Performance Pro-One Aluminum Heads 64cc With 230cc Intake Runners
(8) Stainless Steel 2.08 Intake Valves
(8) Stainless Steel 1.60 Exhaust Valves
(16) High Performance Valve Springs And Retainers (To Match Camshaft)
7/16 Screw In Studs And Hardened Guide Plates
(16) Manley Chrome Moly Push Rods
(16) 7/16 Comp Cams magnum aluminum roller rockers
Engine Will Be Assembled With All Brand New Bolts
High Volume Oil Pump And Screen
Chrome Oil Pan
Chrome Dip Stick And Tube
Chrome Timing Cover
Professional products performance balancer
Fel-Pro Performance Gaskets
The Complete Rotating Assembly Will Be Balanced
Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake Manifold
Chrome Thermostat Housing
Holley 4150 street HP carburetor Non-Choke
Chrome Air Cleaner
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD 6Al igntion control box
MSD blaster II coil and bracket
8 AC Delco Spark Plugs
Custom Fit Taylor 8mm Ignition Wires (Color Of Choice Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Orange No Extra Charge)
Fuel Pump
Fuel Line And Inline Filter
New High Flow Cast Iron Water Pump
Chrome Valve Covers
Chrome Breather
Complete PCV Ventilation System
All engines will come with starter and flex plate (for auto trans), additional $150 for manual transmissions.

Engines are photo documented during the building process so you can see the quality of parts and workmanship that goes into your engine.

Each engine is live run tested, timing set, and carburetor adjusted for optimum performance
We video tape your live run engine, and send you a copy

All of our engines come with a 1 year warranty with unlimited mileage

Turn- Key Drop In Ready Price Only $9,199

Old 10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear Member
Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LaffCo

depending on the use of this car- street / strip, strip only, trailer queen, or what ever you could go with the ultra simple billet straps on your 2 bolt block which would require modest machining on your caps and the aplication of billet straps to strengthen,... you could be out the door for about $250-$300 and that would NOT require line boring the block.

How much HP will the straps support

Old 10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

With all these crate engines you really need to compair apples to apples that is quite a price swing in two 500 hp engines... I wonder if they supply dyno sheets and with one them the actual manufacturer of some of the parts?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Is there anymore information available without calling in?
As of Right now, We do not have all that much information up on the website as most motors we build, people are CONSTANTLY asking for different combinations, so to answer your question no there isn't all that much on the website. I have seen first hand many companies that quote parts on their site, and or on the bill itself and they aren't there. One example we had recently was a gentlemen who is funny enough having us put a 383 stroker in a blazer... He paid for numerous " hi-po" parts and was robbed blindly. A handful of them were not equipped yet billed. The concrete evidence that started his suspicions was when they had a fuel supply issue, and pulled down the gastank to check their hi-performance holley fuel pump that turned out to have stock part numbers on it and " Ford " ... Well needless to say he wasn't happy to say the least. That was an instance where a company just tried to tack on as many parts as they could to get some pocket cash.

There ARE legitimate situations where other components can be used. For example, another 383 we're building for a 64 impala, the owner commented on Edelbrock heads, but we went ahead and equipped Dart heads on the motor to save him some bucks and will go the extra mile on some machining etc.

Bottom line is, We haven't put up a list due to the impracticality of it. If you would like us to send you a basic layout of what the motor would/could be built with in what price range, we would be more then happy to.... but.. 9/10 times when people call us/ work with us they personalize their equipment and next thing you know, close to nothing is how it was stated in the beginning.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to point out that without serious rear end/suspension work and new tires, a 79 camaro will NOT be able to suscessfully put all 500 ponies into the ground. If it's being used on the street and you equip it with nice tires etc, you'll be lucky to put 400HP to the ground. I'd shoot for the 400HP range if i were you. It might just be cheaper to lighten the car and shoot for 400HP while getting the same results. Correct me if im wrong but the 79 camaro Z28 weighs about 3500-3600lbs?

Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

I decided to upgrade the suspension and reduce the weight on my 79. You can go with removing the wheel wells or using fiberglass ones. I went with the 2" raised leaf springs, traction bars, hybrid coil over shocks, traction bars, Richmond Ring and Pinon 4.10:1 gear ratio with an Aburn LSD, Superior Axles, Rear end support diff cover. That was a about a Grand worth of upgrades right there. I also put in the polygraphite bushings with new shackles too. I have subframe connectors from Competition Engineering and I have a Competition Engineer Roll cage (just waiting on a welder and patching the floor pan). These cars are heavy yes, but that is why IT IS fun to have the 500hp. You can also play with the rear end ratio with the tire's overall diameter. I plan on using mine MOSTLY on the street! The strip is just to tune it and see what parts do what, but I just wanted to be able to peel out on command. As far as the transmission, I had to go with a hardened input shaft with a TCI Master Racing Rebuild Kit with a 3,800 RPM stall speed converter.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well from Proformance unlimited, you got all the parts listed, you see what you get, and that does come with the accessories. It is a TRUE DROP IN TURN KEY MOTOR!
ORIGINAL: GRIFF

With all these crate engines you really need to compair apples to apples that is quite a price swing in two 500 hp engines... I wonder if they supply dyno sheets and with one them the actual manufacturer of some of the parts?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear member

too bad I dont have $9,199 to put into buying an Engine

Expensive... [>:]