1980 Camaro whats this worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Default 1980 Camaro whats this worth?

its a 1980 camaro the guys said it needed little work the body and the interior look great. what do you guys think its worth?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 1980 Camaro whats this worth?

when people ask this question its so hard to awnser because its based on several different levels. first off its impossible to tell with out even seeing a picture. and its all on what you mean it "needs a little bit of work" its all perception. changing a quater panel to some is not a big deal but to others thats a boat full. and if you do the work its all what quality its done to. sure you can make a car look awesome, but plastic and paint, make it what it aint. or do things theright way and have a nice car. so really when you ask what the car is worth its impossilbe for people on this forum to tell you. if your looken for a number out in left field a 1980 camaro. 1500-2000. and again is it a Z? RS? berlinetta? that all comes into play. post some pics though cause we all like to see everyone elses camaro

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro_Dream_Car

its a 1980 camaro the guys said it needed little work the body and the interior look great. what do you guys think its worth?
you people need to be more specific when you ask these questions. I'm going to say the car is worth no more than $200.00

a "little" bodywork, without pictures, means rot-box to me. also I am assuming this car is a V-6 with 300,000 miles and a no optioned interior on a standard Camaro

no trying to be an ***, but if you think my answers are kind of offbase, then you should be able to understand why I think your question was offbase itself

give me some detailed pics (under the hood, exterior, underside, frame, interior, interior and exterior wiring, closeups of usual rot spots, etc, etc....and I will gladly help you out

Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM

ok heres a link so you guys canhttp://montana.craigslist.org/car/568139833.html
look at it. sorry i probebly should have thought of this before

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have you seen this car in person? How many miles does it have? Does it smoke? Have you gotten to look under the car, take it for a spin, etc?

I see in the post that it says, "brand new 350 built". How many miles on the build and what all was put in and were they quality parts or just a 200 dollar gasket kit? Did they rebuild the heads, replace main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, etc.,? How many miles on the transmission and has it ever been rebuilt?

When looking at the interior does all the electrical work? Gauges work? Under the hood and trunk are the electrical lines spliced to hell and back or are they pretty solid and uncut?

Is the body and paint pretty solid? Dimples, scratches, drips, etc., in the paint? Pictures can lie pretty easily and not show things that are noticeable only in person.

Is the frame pretty solid? Metal pretty good? Floorpans still there or have holes in it? Rear shock towers solid?

Unfortunately none of us are there with you so you're going to have to be our eyes and ears. Take a camera if you can and take pics of things that you think would be problems.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

where do I start? first off, I don't think it's worth more than $1500 from those crappy pictures

Exterior: Possible badly fixed dent over rear wheelwell (kind of looks like shoddy workmanship to try to hide something), poor quality on the hood scoop installation. broken grill? tires look like wrong size for the rims, which look like wrong offset for the car.

Interior: what are the seat covers hiding? what is the steering wheel cover hiding? no floormats? how cheap does this person do things that they can't even afford $25.00 for floormats to help sell their car? where is the console cover?

Underhood: why no air-cleaner? (if he thinks it's cool to show a car without one, no the type of guy I would buy from. what else does he think is cool?), wiring seems to be pretty much a mess under there, he has installed an electric fan (god only knows how bad he wired that), is that a line-lock on the fenderwell? what are the internals of this "fast engine" and who built it and what are their credentials?

do you really want a 3-speed manual tranny? how cheap is that?

there is so much that isn't shown with these pics, but just with what is shown, the price he wants, and the way he's listed it, I've seen enough that it isn't even worth asking for more pics because I know they are only going to get worse

it sounds like the type of buyer I would never buy from anyway. too sketchy for me

Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM

ok thanks guys. i thought something was........fishy... cause when i talked to him on email. and asked him for more specifics. he basically told me the same thing that was on that link. but he did tell me that it had 5000 miles on the new engine. so thanks guys. it probebly is a bad deal.