1975 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1975camaro
nah, just window regulators on both sides he said they were rubbing up on the windows and messing them up. That was the first thing i asked, i know the windshield alone is like a 500 fix. Its about mint shape which is surprizing considering its in my state of michigan, the ultimate rust hole for most cars
A windshield won't cost anywhere near $500. The door glass and rear glass is also fairly reasonable. Check out NPD. They have good glass prices.

Personally, after looking at the photos, if it is the car you want, offer him $5000. You can always go up in price but you can't go the other way. You may get lucky and he will take your offer. More than likely, he will counteroffer. Once he counteroffers, after some hemming and hawing, offer to split the difference between the counteroffer and your $5000 offer. Over the years, I have used the split the difference gambit many times and it works.

I am partial to the Big Bumper cars and this one looks to be pretty decent. And I agree on the rust issue. Pretty hard to find a non-rusty one even in the south. I bought a 1970 Camaro new in Indiana where I used to live and, when I traded it three years later, it was already starting to rust. You may want to grab it.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

After looking at all the pics, I'd say that car isn't high priced at all. Let's say you got one like that for free, but it was a total rust bucket. Do you have any idea how many tens of thousands of dollars in parts and labor you'd have into that car to get it looking like this one? Low original unrestored miles means a lot, more than just for the motor's sake. It means the car hasn't been molested, or hasn't been resurrected from a cancerous pile of rust. This car looks solid solid solid. And the only rust it has is some surface rust in the trunk? Big deal. If you like this car, and it's really what you want, then make it work. I wouldn't go there with the intent of "buying" the car as you said you were either. A smart seller will smell the anxiety in you, which will hurt your bargaining power. Whenever I go to see a car, I give the seller the impression that I'm only half interested, and could pass on it just as easily as buy it (even if I really do want it). Car wheeling and dealing is a game, but can be fun if you play it right.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah thats why I like it so much, because its so clean. I literally drove and looked at 10 of these cars and called and asked about 20 others. Most were always telling me, "oh yeah its a great car, i get there and I check out the motor and its cool, the doors are cool, heck the floors might even be in ok condition then TADA! i look at the fram and EHHHH buzzer goes off. Well nice talkin to you, and peace out i walk away " I will try to get the guy down a couple of hundred though.

Its rather funny though because my friend has a 76 which is well a rotter. he told me "well i guess im selling mine now becuase you have one" i sense a great deal of jealousy on his part beign that he only wants one because noone else has one. I could care less about his car though.

Ill be sure to post pics tomarrow if i do get it, i got the garage all cleaned out and what not in case I do buy it. My only real concern is that these pics are the pics lol, i have to do a thorough inspection thats for sure.

( I wonder however, how hard is it to replace the dash, or duct work in this car? Or get AC back? Should I just pay say Dukes Car sterio or some other place to do it? I hate hate hate electric work and/or plastic work. I tend to break things. Now engine stuff and things are a bit easier and less tedious.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I say go for it. you can afford it, and you seem to really have your heart set on it. It always sucks so much when you let one slip through the cracks. When you write up the bill of sale just make sure he writes something like 1000 so you don't have to pay so much when it comes to registering it. At least that will save you some money if you can't get him down in price.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That selling a car for a buck trick doesn't work here in IL anymore. They got smart to that and now use a set scale based on the age of the car, regardless of actual value.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

really? when i got my car i said i bought it for 500 w/o a motor. i parked the car down the block from the DOL/DMV lol. i think i paid something like 56 bucks to register it.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're where, Washington? You're not in Illinois anymore Toto!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default oh

I already plan not paying the $360 on tax bs. lol im gonna put that i bought it for around 750 dollars and if they ask me anything im going to say that it had no motor, no tranny, or windows. I got screwed before and i am not going to get screwed again lol. The sec. of state even said its fine, but a minimum of $100 is the lowest now that they will even accept so i might even do that.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 AM
July 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1975camaro
( I wonder however, how hard is it to replace the dash, or duct work in this car? Or get AC back? Should I just pay say Dukes Car sterio or some other place to do it? I hate hate hate electric work and/or plastic work. I tend to break things. Now engine stuff and things are a bit easier and less tedious.
Do a search on this web site or on Nasty Z28 for replacing the dash pad. It's not that bad of a job if you take your time. As for the AC, I would install a Vintage Air system. Compared to the factory system, it really cleans up the engine bay as you loose that huge air box. The time to install Vintage Air is when you are replacing the dash pad as you will need to remove the dash pad to install the AC. That's how I did mine. I had never had a dash apart before doing mine and I managed to get it all back together and make it work. I have a lot of pics of my car when I installed the vintage air at: 1977 Camaro LT pictures by jerhofer - Photobucket

Go to the end of the photos and work your way forward to see the progression.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You're where, Washington? You're not in Illinois anymore Toto!
hahaha that was pretty good.

Quick Reply: 1975 Camaro