1971 RS/SS front springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Default 1971 RS/SS front springs

I have a 1971 RS/SS that I bought lowered a little. I'm tired of walking it through bumps and ditches in the road. Can anyone tell me how the Camaro came from the factory? Some reference to a measurement somewhere about how far off the ground it should be front and rear. Also If you have recently replaced your front springs which ones did you use, Part #?. I want it close to factory height but I like the look of a little lower in the front. The springs on my car don't seem to absorb bumps, or rebound quickly, and let the car slam the pavement. The nose is 7.25" of the ground. I have just rebuilt the original motor and trans and put in a aluminum intake on a 350 motor so it doesn't have that weight under the hood. Will post a pict when site allows. Thank you
Scott

Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ScottC1971RS/SS
I have a 1971 RS/SS that I bought lowered a little. I'm tired of walking it through bumps and ditches in the road. Can anyone tell me how the Camaro came from the factory? Some reference to a measurement somewhere about how far off the ground it should be front and rear. Also If you have recently replaced your front springs which ones did you use, Part #?. I want it close to factory height but I like the look of a little lower in the front. The springs on my car don't seem to absorb bumps, or rebound quickly, and let the car slam the pavement. The nose is 7.25" of the ground. I have just rebuilt the original motor and trans and put in a aluminum intake on a 350 motor so it doesn't have that weight under the hood. Will post a pict when site allows. Thank you
Scott
Wish I could help you with the factory measurements.That's something i'd like to know myself as well.

My Camaro was originally a 6cyl...so i'm assuming the springs on mine are only suited for a 6cyl. When I put my 350 in, it dropped the front end down a bit, but nothing that caused any problems.

I've since added different tires and rims, the tires being bigger. Even also swapping the manifold to the aluminum Edelbrock Performer, it didn't lift it up much more.

I used the $10 universal spring compressors, and reversed them to seperate the springs a bit so the tires wouldn't rub when I hit bumps.
Name:  SANY0604.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  SANY0606.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  181.7 KB
I'm pretty sure Autozone sells OEM springs for the front. Don't think there's an in between when it comes to you wanting a lower look, but maybe someone else will know for sure otherwise.

As for adding pics.....you can get a photobucket account...upload your pics from your computer to their...and then you can copy image, and paste it in your replies..it will look like the pics I have.