1970 Series 2 427 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Default 1970 Series 2 427 Camaro

I wonder if someone can shed some light on a prospective vehicle I have an opportunity to purchase. The information I have is that it was delivered to a SoCal dealership (Baldwin Park Chevrolet I'm told) in 1970. It is a Series 2 and has a Z28 Rally Sport option, including split front bumper, including L72 427 big block, turbo 400 transmission, 12 both posi-traction diff, heavy duty suspension etc, all installed before delivery. It is Hugger Orange and almost finished with all parts bought, and about 25-30 hours more to put it back together. Apparently there were only 5 cars done to this specification by the dealership. I have searched the internet, but cannot find any information anywhere. It has been dyno-tested to 546hp, so a very mean machine! Does anyone know about these cars and have an idea of value when completely restored? I am in New Zealand.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

You sure it's not a Baldwin Motion car,they did 427's in first gen cars? I've never heard of a 427 second gen Camaro,1970 and later would be a 454.
Here's a story on a Baldwin 454 car,quite rare and exotic.
1970 Chevrolet Camaro - Camaro Performers Magazine

Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Do you have a Kelly Blue Book for your area.? Or even ask your insurance company.And a lot depends on the demand .The condition etc. Checking with the local Camaro Clubs as well.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM

We had already checked that out. Through the Vin number, we found the car was assembled in the Van Nuys factory, and, to quote the seller to the current owner "he had been shown an invoice by the person he bought it off from Baldwin Park Chevrolet, which doesn't exist any more, and the second owner had forgotten to send it to him. The story told was that it was bought out of Baldwin Park then went to Sacramento, where it was owned by a cop, who was shot in action and invalided. the second owner bought it off him, the third owner then started the restoration (this was his 15th car), and the guy here in NZ bought it unfinished and shipped it here. He was told that Baldwin Park Chevrolet only spec'ed 5 cars to this. The Vin shows it as originally a 350 with the 427 and other additions as "extras", so the story stacks up. I'm hoping the story may prompt someone who is a member and can throw some light on it.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KevinC
We had already checked that out. Through the Vin number, we found the car was assembled in the Van Nuys factory, and, to quote the seller to the current owner "he had been shown an invoice by the person he bought it off from Baldwin Park Chevrolet, which doesn't exist any more, and the second owner had forgotten to send it to him. The story told was that it was bought out of Baldwin Park then went to Sacramento, where it was owned by a cop, who was shot in action and invalided. the second owner bought it off him, the third owner then started the restoration (this was his 15th car), and the guy here in NZ bought it unfinished and shipped it here. He was told that Baldwin Park Chevrolet only spec'ed 5 cars to this. The Vin shows it as originally a 350 with the 427 and other additions as "extras", so the story stacks up. I'm hoping the story may prompt someone who is a member and can throw some light on it.
Well it sounds like you are looking for a needle in a very big haystack then. I wish you luck, I have never heard of a dealer installed 427 in any second gen car but it's certainty not out of the realm of possibility. Some of the dealers did a lot of cool stuff if you had "an in" with someone there who had "an in" at the factory through the COPO. It's also possible that this is a big bunch of BS the seller came up with to make money and the whole 5 cars thing is a fairy tail.
If you find the truth let us know, heck call Hot Rod Magazine they'd want to do a story on it. Maybe contact them anyway, someone there may have heard of these unicorns. Good luck, we'd love to see some pictured of the beast by the way.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Here's an interesting read about a one of one Berger 454 1970 Camaro, Berger like Baldwin Motion, Yenco and Nickey was a dealer that did some COPO 427's in 1969.
This article mentions the fact that there were no COPO Camaro 454 cars that year due most likely to a strike at GM, Berger dealer built this one in house.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0704-1970-berger-454-camaro/
While I have my doubts that might also explain the 5 unicorns you are seeking, if the dealer wanted to get some special order COPO 454 cars but wasn't able to get them they might have had a few left over 427's available in house if they were a dealer like Berger that actively promoted racing and sold speed parts.
Maybe you can find some hotrod clubs from that area in California with some old timers who remember that dealer.
Here's a site you might want to check out in your search. There's some very knowledgeable guys in their message board. The Jalopy Journal | Preaching the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums worldwide? The Jalopy Journal