Hot start gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Default Hot start gremlin

Hey guys, 69 camaro,454,5 speed, hooker long tube headers,high torque mini starter. Car starts strong when cold. after driving a while, normal operating temp, stop for 10 minutes or so, wont turn over. Solenoid clicks but no contact with flywheel. Car starts when hand pushed. Originally I replaced the starter with new, same problem. I wrapped the starter & solenoid with starter shield material, same results. Also then wrapped headers with exaust tape heat sheild, same problem. Had the wire checked from the ignition, Optima red top battery, brand new Ididit steering column. Ideas???? Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved this to the proper section. The "Getting Started" section is for new member info, not starter issues.
Man, you tried most everything. One more thing I would look at is your start wire at the solenoid. Heated up wires produce more resistance, maybe the wire isn't carrying enough juice when hot. Have you tried hot-wiring or jumping the terminals at the starter to see what bypassing the wires gives you?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Thanks Camaro 69, sorry about my ignorance on posting. I will try a heavier wire, I had encased the wire in the flimsy black plastic loom piping. Heat wasn't sufficient enough to melt that. I havnt tried the jumper, never enough room to access while out on a ride, headers too hot to navigate around! I might try to run it up on my lift returning home next trip before I make any changes. Thanks again

Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
2nd Gear member

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but here is what I did on my big block and it's very simple.

I made my own remote starter solenoid using a Ford starter solenoid that I got at NAPA. Mount the solenoid where it is at easy access to you.

You run the battery cable to the one post on the Ford solenoid and then from there to the starter. Make a jumper to connect the battery post and the ignition or switch post on the GM solenoid. You can use a piece of 10ga wire with ring terminals or I made mine out of metal.

Then your wires that go to the GM solenoid get put on the Ford solenoid.

The Ford solenoid I bought has two posts but I only use the one wire that comes from the switch. I was told the other wire you really don't need, but it is there for some reason so you might want to hook it up anyways.
I rewired my car with a custom harness and never installed that wire.

Bruce